Tam O'Shanter Cottage, which was probably built about 300 years ago by a heath squatter, is situated at the edge of Bidston Hill. Sadly most of the building was destroyed by fire in 1954 and the Council considered demolishing it, but it was saved by public protest. Following a further fire in 1975 and subsequent vandalism, the council decided to demolish the building completely. The Birkenhead History Society stepped in to try and save the building because it represented a period before the area became industrialised. In June 1975 they were given 30 days to submit their suggestions and in August they won permission from Wirral Borough Council for the cottage to be rebuilt and restored to its former glory but rather than return the cottage to residential use the Society felt that the townspeople would be better served by having a field study centre which could be used by local school children. A Charitable Trust was formed in conjunction with Wirral District Council and a grant was obtained from the Manpower Services Commission under the Job Creation Programme.
The cottage was open for schools from May 1977 and in 1986 a voluntary organisation called the Wirral Urban Farm Association together with the Tam O'Shanter Cottage Trust began to develop the 4 acres around the cottage as a city farm. The construction of farm buildings, paths and fencing was soon followed by a collection of farm animals. The aim of the new trust was to make this varied collection of farm animals accessible to many people, especially children. By fundraising, grants, donations, support from the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral the farm is able to maintain itself without an admission charge while being open every day (9.30am - 4.30pm).
Partly taken from Link