SJ2889 : Windmill, Bidston Hill

3 km from Upton, Wirral, Great Britain

Windmill, Bidston Hill
Windmill, Bidston Hill
This brick built tower mill replaced a wooden 'peg' mill that was destroyed by fire in 1793, and was used to grind corn into flour for 75 years up until 1875. Although access was difficult for a horse and cart laden with sacks of grain or flour the top of the hill was the ideal place to catch the wind. It is believed that there has been a windmill on this site since 1596. With the introduction of steam powered mills, windmills felt into disuse. During the 1890's Bidston Hill was purchased from Lord Vyner for public use and in 1894 a Mr. R.S. Hudson paid for Bidston Windmill to be restored. Further work has been carried out over the years, most recently by the present custodians Wirral Borough Council. The windmill is open on the first Sunday each month between 2:00pm and 4:00pm, when much of the machinery can be seen and a fine view can be had from the top.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Sue Adair and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ2889, 37 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for SJ2889)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 November, 2005   (more nearby)
Sunday, 13 November, 2005
Windmill > Windmill   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 287 893 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:23.7417N 3:4.4225W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 1079 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved