TG2705 : Ruins of St Mary's Church, Kirby Bedon

near to Kirby Bedon, Norfolk, Great Britain

Ruins of St Mary's Church, Kirby Bedon
Ruins of St Mary's Church, Kirby Bedon
In 1195 Langley Abbey was established nearby (See TG3602 : Ruins of Langley Abbey) Shortly afterwards the manor of St Mary's was acquired by the Abbey and the vicars were appointed by the abbot. When Langley Abbey was closed by Henry VIII in 1536, (during the dissolution of the monasteries) the church of St Mary's land was confiscated by the Crown along with the rest of the Abbey's possessions. After this the church was run by a curate who was an assistant to the parish priest of TG2705 : St Andrew's Church, Kirby Bedon opposite. At this point St Mary's became the less important church in the village. It is likely that although in theory, the two parishes were still separate, local people would have preferred to go to St Andrew's where there was a rector, rather than the poorer St Mary's.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Graham Hardy and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2705, 162 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for TG2705)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Wednesday, 16 November, 2005   (more nearby)
Saturday, 19 November, 2005
Church (ruined)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 279 053 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:35.8601N 1:21.8207E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 175 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved