SH5737 : Cei Ballast, Porthmadog

taken 12 years ago, near to Borth-y-Gest, Gwynedd, Great Britain

Cei Ballast, Porthmadog
Cei Ballast, Porthmadog
Popularly called "Ballast Island", this is part of local history. Porthmadog was a harbour for the Ffestiniog slate trade and the ships [many of them made locally] were designed for sailing with a heavy load. The return journey was usually empty of cargo, so they would pick up loads of stones to provide ballast. At the end of the voyage, these were dumped outside Porthmadog Harbour, eventually forming an island - now vegetated and with a population of rabbits. The stones in the foreground are all the same rock [a granite] and presumably came from one of the last ships to discard its ballast here.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Medcalf and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SH5737, 9 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 27 November, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 27 November, 2005
Category
Islands   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 572 379 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:55.1688N 4:7.5243W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 572 377
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for SH5737) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 1026 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register