Redfern Inn, Etterby, taken 9 years ago
The Redfern Inn is one of several Public Houses in Carlisle built in this style by the British architect Harry Redfern (1861-1950).
Harry Redfern was commemorated towards the end of his work for the State Management Scheme by the naming of the Redfern Inn (1938), one of the distinctive New Model Inn designs, in Etterby, a district of Carlisle. The Redfern was designed by his assistant architect, Joseph Seddon, FRIBA (with Redfern's collaboration). It was a tribute to a man who had dedicated his talents to the quest for an improved public house style.
The State Management Scheme (known locally as 'The Scheme') saw the UK government take over and run the brewing, distribution and sale of liquor in three regions of the UK from 1916 until 1973.  The main centre was the Carlisle and District scheme, which was near to the armament factories that were founded in 1916 supplying explosive and shells to the British Army during the First World War.
There were initially three schemes, Carlisle & Gretna, Cromarty Firth and Enfield. In 1921 Carlisle and Gretna were split into two separate areas, Carlisle was the large part and supplied some beer to Gretna. Then in 1922 Enfield was ended and the public houses sold back to private enterprise. The Cromarty Firth scheme did not do any brewing.
Significant to the scheme was the extensive redevelopment; refurbishment of existing pubs, much demolition and replacement of substandard premises, most of these were designed by the Scheme's chief architect Harry Redfern and in his New Model Inn style which influenced the design of public houses in the rest of the UK.