SP9315 : Entrance to Pitstone Green Museum

taken 12 years ago, near to Pitstone, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain

Entrance to Pitstone Green Museum
Entrance to Pitstone Green Museum
The plaque next to the roller reads:
This support roller, installed at Pitstone Cement Works in 1936, is one of 12 carrying No.1 Rotary kiln. It is set at an angle of 3 so that the rate of flow of the chalk and clay is controlled for long enough to allow the chemical process to take place at temperatures up to 1700C.
Each roller weighed about 6 tons and carried a weight of about 38 tons.
It was made by F L Smidth for Tunnel (later Castle) Cement which provided local employment from 1937 to 1991.
For further information about the cement works visit the Pitstone Green Museum.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rob Farrow and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP9315, 39 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 4 December, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 5 December, 2005
Category
Museum / Heritage Centre   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 936 156 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:49.8709N 0:38.5855W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for SP9315) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 744 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register