TL1407 : St Albans: The Clock Tower

near to St Albans, Hertfordshire, Great Britain

St Albans: The Clock Tower
St Albans: The Clock Tower
Built between 1403 and 1412 the Clock Tower is one of only two medieval belfries in England. Giving great views of the Abbey, Roman Verulamium and the City, the tower with its fine bell has survived almost 600 years of use.
The Clock Tower was a political statement, enabling the town to sound its own hours, and, until 1863, the Curfew. It also gave the alarm in case of "fire or fray" - its bell rang out for the first battle of St Albans during the War of the Roses in 1455. The Clock Tower is owned by St Albans District Council. It is opened by volunteers of the joint Clock Tower Committee of the St Albans Civic Society and the St Albans and Hertfordshire Architectural and Archaeological Society.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL1407, 351 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Date Taken
Sunday, 4 December, 2005   (more nearby)
Monday, 5 December, 2005
Clock > Clock tower   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 146 071 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:45.0529N 0:20.4763W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 1116 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved