The completion of the Bure navigation canal (Aylsham Navigation) in 1773 brought further wealth to the prosperous town and led to the development around Millgate. William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845 reports that "The Bure, which washes the foot of the town, was formerly only navigable from Yarmouth to Coltishall, (11 miles below Aylsham bridge by the water, and 7 by land;) but in 1773, an act was obtained for extending the navigation to Aylsham, for boats of 14 tons burthen, drawing two feet five inches water, which was completed after many difficulties and interruptions, in Oct., 1779, at a cost of upwards of £6000, including the cost of the basin and wharfs near the bridge, where much business is done in coal, corn, timber, &c." See also > Link
The mill, also known as Millgate Mill, was rebuilt in 1798 but it is believed that a mill has been on the site since Domesday or before. The block running parallel with Mill Row was built in the second half of the 19th century and the millpool was widened up to its walls at the same time > Link
. Unusually, the mill (which in its heyday was served by 26 wherries) has three lucums (sack hoists). On 26th August 1912 the great flood destroyed all locks and the Aylsham Navigation was closed; in 1967 the mill was vacated and in 1974 the Aylsham Canal basin was filled in. Whereas the 19th century wing has since been converted into flats, what remains of the building is presently awaiting development.
The image was taken from private land and permission has been given by the owners to publish here.