St Peters Church, Hall Green
In 1923 following the growth of population in the area, and a generous gift of land from Colonel Jervaise, a small wooden building was erected and opened as a chapel (in September 1923) dedicated to St. Cadoc.
Continued growth in numbers over the next 30 years eventually saw this building re-dedicated in 1954 to St. Peter and the appointment of the first resident priest, Fr. Joseph Adlam. Some 5 years later plans were made for a more permanent building when on April 18th 1959 tragedy struck. A fire engulfed the wooden church, that had served for so long, and plans for expansion lay in ashes.
Using firstly a small wooden hut and later, the newly built parish hall, services were to continue for over four years before the completion of our wonderful new building.
The foundation stone was laid on July 14th 1962 and building eventually completed for the official opening in 1964. Over the next two years life reverted to normal with the parish hall being used for social and group meetings rather than religious services. Father Adlam was unfortunately unable to enjoy the ‘fruits of his labours’ for very long. He died suddenly on November 4th 1966. At his funeral the Bishop of Aston, The Right Rev. David Porter, said ‘Your new church is the finest memorial that Joseph Adlam could possibly have. It epitomises all that he lived for, hoped for, and slaved for and, if ever a man could die happy in the knowledge of a task fulfilled, it was he.’