NS4173 : Dumbuck Crannog from the south

taken 10 years ago, near to Milton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Dumbuck Crannog from the south
Dumbuck Crannog from the south
Expand the first end-note for a detailed description; click on that end-note title for related pictures.

The present photo shows the location of the crannog (the seaweed-covered feature on the shore) in relation to nearby features: the railway line (which runs close to the shore, just behind the grassy strip); the old Diamond Power site, whose roofs can be seen to the right; and, in the background, NS4274 : Dumbuck Quarry.

As for the Crannog, care is needed to distinguish its original structure from more recent disturbances. For example, at its northern side (in the photo, this is directly below the left-hand peak of Dumbuck Quarry), a seaweed-covered heap of stones can be seen, and there are a few other heaps of stones at the site. These heaps are not part of the ancient structure of the crannog: rather, at some point between the 1898 archaeological dig and the later excavations in the 1990s, someone decided that it would be a good idea to shift some boulders around in order to create duck-shooting hides [see Hale and Sands, in the work cited in the end-note].
Dumbuck Crannog
This is the best-preserved of several crannogs located within the inner Clyde estuary. The crannog is set on mudflats, rather than a sandy beach, and it is often submerged, being completely uncovered for only a few hours at low tide, when it appears a dark circular seaweed-covered shape on the shore. See LinkExternal link (at Canmore) for archaeological details of Dumbuck Crannog.

Crannogs are "partly or wholly man-made islands which supported timber buildings". For a concise account of this site, see "Archaeology around Glasgow", Susan Hothersall, Glasgow Archaeological Society, 2007. Recent research has dated the remains to between 200BC and 200AD, and suggests that it was a water-side platform rather than a dwelling [A.G.C. Hale, "Scottish Marine Crannogs", 2004, Oxford].

There may have been a timber building standing out on the platform. There was also a dug-out canoe moored nearby (described by the original excavators as "the great war canoe"), and an oak ladder, four metres in length, for getting to the canoe (at the time of writing, the ladder could be seen on display in Kelvingrove Museum, forming part of the "Scotland's First People" exhibition; the author of the present shared description has viewed it there: the wood is very blackened from age, but the structure of the ladder is intact).

The platform here was about 50 feet wide, and it is still possible to see the remains of more than twenty oak piles arranged in a circle; they are visible as a ring of wooden stumps protruding above the mud. Within that circle, some of the horizontal timbers of the platform can also be seen. Outside the circle of piles was a stone and timber breakwater.

The site was excavated in 1898 by the Helensburgh Naturalist and Antiquarian Society; this is the same association who excavated nearby Dumbuie Dun LinkExternal link in 1895. Just as with that earlier dig, the crannog site was liberally "salted" with fascinating objects that caused great controversy at the time, and which are now known to be fakes. For more on that topic, see the book "Controversy on the Clyde Archaeologists, Fakes and Forgers: The Excavation of Dumbuck Crannog", by Hale and Sands, RCAHMS; the book gives a detailed description of the site, describes how the crannog would have looked when in use, and includes an extensive list of references for further reading.

Dumbuck Crannog has been excavated more recently: in the 1990s and in 2000.

At the time of the first excavation in 1898, a burn, the Witches Plantain Burn, flowed in a straight line past the west side of the crannog; its old course can still clearly be seen there, marked by long straight line of seaweed-covered stones. The burn now follows a more sinuous course past the other side of the crannog.

As noted above, there are several other crannogs in the inner estuary of the River Clyde:

● Erskine Crannog LinkExternal link at NS45477291; see LinkExternal link at Canmore;
● Langbank East Crannog (or Westferry Crannog) at NS40507318; see LinkExternal link at Canmore;
● Langbank West Crannog at NS38147355; see LinkExternal link at Canmore;
● See LinkExternal link at Canmore for another report, but note the comments there from 2015.
Dumbuck Quarry :: NS4274
The quarry, which supplies aggregates for the construction industry, is also known as Dumbuckhill Quarry. It has consumed much of Dumbuck Hill, which was a volcanic plug, located at the edge of the Kilpatrick Hills. The quarry was mothballed in 2011, but its new owners resumed operations there just a few years later.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4173, 30 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 22 August, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 23 August, 2008
Geographical Context
Estuary, Marine  Historic sites and artefacts 
Period (from Tags)
Iron Age 
Near (from Tags)
River Clyde 
Landmark (from Tags)
Dumbuck Quarry 
Category
Crannog   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 415 739 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:55.9296N 4:32.2573W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 415 738
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Crannog  Archaeology 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 402 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register