TQ3881 : Poplar: Saint Frideswide's Mission House, Lodore Street, E14

near to Poplar, Tower Hamlets, Great Britain

Poplar: Saint Frideswide's Mission House, Lodore Street, E14
Poplar: Saint Frideswide's Mission House, Lodore Street, E14
Saint Frideswide's Mission House was built in 1892 here in Lodore Street and was originally a mission run by Christ Church, Oxford. At first services were held in a room in this Mission House, but a church was later built in Follett Street at the junction with Lodore Street, where the building on the right is now. The Church was severely damaged during the Blitz, completely demolished in 1947 and never rebuilt.

Behind the black railings at the top of the stone entranceway is a small statue, presumably of the eponymous saint. Saint Frideswide is the patron saint of Oxford, accredited with the founding of Christ Church, hence the connection.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2008
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3881, 93 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Tuesday, 19 August, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 24 August, 2008
Category
Mission house (former)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 381 811 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:30.7378N 0:0.6075W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 381 811
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 621 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register