SD9223 : Dobroyd Castle, Todmorden

near to Todmorden, Calderdale, Great Britain

Dobroyd Castle, Todmorden
Dobroyd Castle, Todmorden
A mill-owner's mansion designed by John Gibson for John Fielden. The house was completed in 1869. The central hall has a glazed dome and interesting carvings in grey granite. The building became an Approved School in 1942. Between 1979 and 1989 Dobroyd Castle was a privately run school for boys with emotional and behavioural problems. In 1995 the castle was purchased by monks from the New Kadampa Buddhist Tradition and run as the Losang Dragpa Centre. The Buddhists left in 2007 and Dobroyd Castle was put up sale early in 2008. Robinwood Activity Centres plan to open an activity centre at Dobroyd in March 2009 offering residential adventure and teamwork courses for 8-11 year olds.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD9223, 85 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for SD9223)
Date Taken
September 2003   (more nearby)
Friday, 23 December, 2005
House   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 929 238 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:42.6343N 2:6.5427W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 929 238
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 5357 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved