SY8586 : Bindon Abbey House

taken 12 years ago, near to Wool, Dorset, Great Britain

Bindon Abbey House
Bindon Abbey House
The house in this photograph was built by Thomas Weld in the eighteenth century on the site of a former Cistercian Abbey built in 1172. Thomas Weld owned Lulworth Castle so this very much smaller house was by way of a retreat. An upper room served as a Roman Catholic chapel until a modern church was built in the 1970's in Wool. Also linked with the Bindon Abbey ruins are some of the fictional events that occur in Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles".
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Squire and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SY8586, 11 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 1 January, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 2 January, 2006
Category
Country house   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SY 853 867 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:40.7862N 2:12.5652W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SY 852 867
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for SY8586) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 549 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register