Shared Descriptions
Recent Shared descriptions
Snowdown Station
Snowdown station is served by Southeastern. The station and the line it serves were built by the South Eastern and Chatham Railway and the London, Chatham &...
Church of St Michael, Knighton-on-Teme
A charming little church, still largely retaining its Norman character. It stands almost by itself, the village comprising a series of relatively isolated fa...
The Sensible Garden, South Norwood
The Sensible Garden is an area of land next to South Norwood High Street, where what was formerly a rather nondescript patch of grass by the railway has been...
Shepherds Well Station
Shepherds Well railway station serves Shepherdswell in Kent. It is served by Southeastern. It appears in the national railway timetable and in on line enquir...
Dart Harbour Devon
Headcorn Aerodrome
Lashenden (Headcorn) Airfield (ICAO: EGKH) is a private airfield in Kent. The airfield is located 9 miles south of Maidstone; about 32 miles southeast of Lon...
East Dean
East Dean is a village on the A259 between Eastbourne and Seaford. The village centre is south of the road, whilst there are extensive estates north of the r...
Chester City War Memorial
Chester City War Memorial stands in the grounds of Chester Cathedral. Erected in 1922, It was designed by Frederick Crossley and Thomas Rayson and commemorat...
Old Radnor Church organ
The timberwork of the organ dates from the early 16th century, and as such represents the oldest surviving organ case in the British Isles. It is notable fo...
Church of St Stephen, Old Radnor
The Cadw listing describes the church as 'One of the finest medieval churches in Wales'. The fabric is essentially 15th century, although some earlier work s...
Nos 172/174 Finaghy Road South, Belfast
A site, at Finaghy Road “South, almost opposite Trossachs Drive, currently (May 2016) occupied by two derelict detached houses. Offered for sale , the agent...
The A17
The A17 is the major route for HGV's accessing Norfolk from Northern England and the Midlands and also a major holiday route in the summer months for cars an...
Middleton Railway, Leeds
The Middleton railway was established by an Act of Parliament in 1758. The Middleton Railway can claim to be the oldest railway in the world. The first succe...
Calverley Pack Horse Bridge, Rodley, Leeds
Standing here in 1846, a huge fulling mill would have been clearly visible on the left bank of the river along with a weir stretching across the water from...
Hunslet Freightliner depot
Located on the Midland Railway route into Leeds via Castleford, the site is now operated by Freightliner, with the name "Leeds Midland Road" and the depot co...
the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal
The Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal (popularly referred to as the Mon & Brec) was originally two separate canals: the Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal, and the M...
Tour de Yorkshire 2016
The second Tour de Yorkshire, a three day stage cycling race. Stage one (Friday 29th April): Beverley to Settle. Stage two (Saturday 30th April): Otley to D...
Abbey Inn, Pollard Lane, Newlay, Leeds
Abbey Inn, Newlay was used for inquests and as a morgue in the past. The bodies were usually of suicides found in the river and were kept there until relativ...
Old Providence Lead Mine
Records show that lead has been mined in Dowber Gill in Wharfedale since 1663. There could well have been earlier activity. The village of Kettlewell at the ...
Church of St Andrew, Presteigne
An impressive church, befitting a town which was an important local centre and later a county town where Assizes were held. It consists of nave with north...
Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul, Pickering
Quotation from the website of the Church: St Peter and St Paul is the largest Church within the benefice, and serves the North Yorkshire mediaeval market ...
Jubilee Fountain in Albert Square
The Jubilee Fountain, in Albert Square, was designed to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897 and also to replace a temporary fountain commemo...
Kirkstall Abbey, Abbey Road, Leeds
Kirkstall is one of the​ finest remaining medieval Cistercian abbeys in Britain.
A6109 Road
The A6109 runs 5 miles from Rotherham to Sheffield. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A6109
Meadowhall
Meadowhall is an indoor shopping centre in Sheffield. It lies 3 miles north-east of Sheffield city centre and 2 miles from Rotherham town centre. It is the ...
Fitzalan Square / Ponds Forge Tram Stop
Fitzalan Square/Ponds Forge is a central station on the Supertram tramway in Sheffield, serving the Ponds Forge International Sports Centre. It is one of onl...
Church of St Mary, Leebotwood
The body of the church, consisting of nave and chancel under a continuous roof, dates from the 13th century, the tower being added in 1829. The roof appears ...
Viaduct Road, Leeds
Two men living in the Arches under Viaduct Road, Leeds
Pembroke House, Camberley
Pembroke House Camberley is being constructed during 2016. When complete it will be a Care & Nursing home operated by Signature Care Homes See the informati...
Aire and Calder Navigation Canal, Knowsthorpe, Leeds
In 1893, a number of engineering firms in Hunslet, Leeds, obtained an Act of Incorporation for the Hunslet Railway Company, with the aim of establishing loca...
Church of St James, Abinger Common
A church may have stood on this site since Saxon times, the first record however comes from the Domesday Book. The present building dates from the 13th cent...
River Aire, Armley, Leeds
Old electric cables used to be buried here but have long since been dug up for their scrap value. I'm thinking this 'camp' was where they stripped the cab...
A621 Road
The A621 runs 12 miles from Sheffield to Baslow. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A621
B6388 Road
The B6388 is a secondary out of the Sheffield area. It runs 4 miles from Sheffield IRR to Highlane.
River Sheaf
The River Sheaf is a river in Sheffield. Its source is the union of the Totley Brook and the Old Hay Brook in Totley, now a suburb of Sheffield. It flows nor...
B6050 Road
The B6050 is a cross-country B-road in eastern Derbyshire, linking the A619 to itself either side of Chesterfield town centre. It runs 9 miles from The Robin...
Sandbach transport festival 2016
The transport festival has been an annual feature of the town since 1992. Originally held over the May bank holiday weekend, it is now on a weekend in April....
Rufford Old Hall
Rufford Old Hall is owned by the National Trust. The Tudor hall is impressive. The Hesketh family lived here for 500 years.
BIngham Hall, King Street, Cirencester
Bingham Hall is named for a local man, Daniel George Bingham. Daniel was born in the town in 1830 and became a successful railwayman both in this country and...
Zip Wire at Bethesda
There are two zip-wires run by Zip World at the Penrhyn slate quarry - the 800m shorter wire being a practice "flight" before taking on the 1600m (1 mile) wi...
River Tone
The River Tone is in Somerset. The river is about 21 miles long. Its source is at Beverton Pond near Huish Champflower in the Brendon Hills, and is dammed at...
A6108 Road
The A6108 is a long winding A-road in north Yorkshire, providing a 36 mile long-way-round route between Scotch Corner and Ripon, via Richmond. http://www.sa...
KAWS Sculptures at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park 2016
Wharfedale Viaduct
Arthington Viaduct (also known as Wharfedale Viaduct or Castley Viaduct) carries the Harrogate Line across the Wharfe valley between Arthington in West Yorks...
Venice, vidi, vici
In which I start out amidst hustle and bustle in the heart of the West End, weave through Bayswater, up to Brownings Pool then through the Fisherton Estate, ...
St Wilfred's church, Low Marnham
The church dates from the 13th century onwards. Low Marnham is mentioned in the Domesday Book as being under the Lordship of Roger de Busli. There is a to...
St Julian's Well
A 14th/15th century chapel over a holy well. Grade II* listed. http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-61878-st-julian-s-well-maker-with-rame-
B3247 Road
The B3247 is a road in South Cornwall with four end points.It runs 16 miles from Hessenford to Cremyll. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=B...
Church of St Mary & St Julian, Maker
The church is first mentioned in 1121 when it was given to Plympton Priory. On the Dissolution of the monasteries the right of appointing the vicar was taken...
The Yorkshire Sculpture Park
The Yorkshire Sculpture Park (YSP) is situated in the grounds of Bretton Hall, an 18th-century estate near Wakefield which was a family home until the mid-20...
Centre House (redevelopment), Belfast
An office building, at the corner of Chichester Street and Victoria Street. Built in two phases, as RAC House, in the mid-1970’s and early 1990’s. Now the ...
Newport Pagnell
Although nowadays a suburb of Milton Keynes, Newport Pagnell has a long history. First mentioned in the Domesday Book as Neuport, meaning new market town in...
Gloucester House and Oxford House, Belfast
Two office buildings, in Chichester Street, currently occupied as Government office, due to be vacated in the near future. Recently offered for sale and now...
Nos 199 & 201 Newtownards Road, Belfast
Two derelict and disguised buildings, at the corner of McMaster Street, currently (April 2016) offered for sale and described by the agents as “Occupying a g...
Bredbury Curve Development
In 2015 plans were put forward for the Bredbury Curve Development. Although recommended for acceptance the plans were rejected in March 2016 http://democracy...
Ravenscraig Railway Station
The station was opened by the Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway Company in 1865. It was subsequently taken over by the Caledonian Railway Company and then the ...
Sir William Fraser Homes
Sir William Fraser (18 February 1816 - 13 March 1898) was a solicitor and a notable historian, palaeographer and genealogist. He endowed a chair of history a...
Enmoor Lodge, Leopold Street, Leeds
The Misses Kettlewell’s School At the auction in 1876 Enmoor Lodge was bought by Mrs Jane Kettlewell, for £1,600. She and her daughters, the Misses Kettle...
No 184 Malone Road, Belfast
A vacant house currently (April 2016) offered for sale as a “prime development site” and described by the agents as “The subject comprises a derelict detache...
Statue Of Queen Victoria, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds
Commissioned in 1901 to commemorate Queen Victoria it was unveiled by Lord Mayor, Edwin Woodhouse, on November 27, 1905. A memorial committee had been formed...
Fulneck Moravian Settlement, Leeds
Fulneck Moravian Settlement is a village in Pudsey. It was established in 1744. It is named after Fulneck (Czech: Fulnek), the German name of a town in North...
B6057 Road
This version of the B6057 was the A61 before the latter road was redirected away from the villages. It runs 8 miles from Chesterfield to Norton via Dronfield.
B6051 Road
The B6051 runs 8 miles from Chesterfield to Owlers Bar. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=B6051
B6543 Road
The B6543 was the route of the A619 before the latter road was diverted on to the Chesterfield bypass. it runs 2 miles from Chesterfield town centre to Tapto...
Leeds University
One of the largest and best known of the "red brick" universities, the Leeds campus occupies a large site to the north and west of the city centre. The univ...
NLSME - Colney Heath
The North London Society of Model Engineers, based in Finchley, has had it running tracks and other facilities at Colney Heath for many years. The ground lev...
Godley Junction Turntable
Just west of the former Godley Junction staion beyond the bridge over Brookfold Road was a small marshelling yard and a turntable. Here is where trains he...
B2079 Road
The B2079 is a rural road in Kent. It runs 11 miles from Stilebridge to Flimwell. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=B2079
Harringworth or Welland Viaduct
Both names are in current use. The OS maps it as Welland Viaduct, but Network Rail refer to it as Harringworth Viaduct, which has probably been the official ...
Lyric Cinema,Tong Road, Armley, Leeds
The Lyric Cinema in Armley, a suburb of Leeds, was officially opened on 7th December 1922 by the Lord Mayor, however as the projection equipment was not comp...
Trelissick
John Lawrence built a villa here in the 1750's, with views to the Fal estuary, and an estate covering a promontary jutting into the Fal. After various chan...
Mount Edgcumbe Blockhouse
Mount Edgcumbe blockhouse is a small square stone structure of two storeys opposite Devil's Point which controlled Barnpool beach and the entrance to the Ham...
Fort Brockhurst
Fort Brockhurst (SU596020) was built between 1858 and 1862 and is one of a line of five forts which together comprise the "Gosport Advanced Line" which was ...
Buckland Abbey
Buckland Abbey is a National Trust property, a Cistercian monastery from 1278 until dissolved by Henry VIII, then bought by Sir Richard Grenville, then in 15...
Petrol companies and stations, Northern Ireland
Some photographs showing petrol company names, logos and stations in Northern Ireland. Many of the names common in GB do not trade in NI. The photographs s...
Coleton Fishacre
A National Trust house and garden.
Comiston Farmhouse
To be developed. The farmhouse, officially 83 Pentland View, has been sold by the City of Edinburgh Council, subject to planning permission. Information is t...
Aberystwyth Town War Memorial
Womenswold
Womenswold is a smal village 7 miles south-east of Canterbury, 1 mile to the east of the A2 road. Historically, Womenswold has been recorded with various sp...
B2046 Road
The B2046 is a rural road in east Kent. It runs 5 miles from Barham to Wingham. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=B2046
Church of St Mary, Morcott
Church of St Mary, Morcott The church consists of aisled nave with chancel, west tower and south porch, the north aisle extending one bay alongside the chan...
The Vale of Rheidol Railway (Rheilffordd Cwm Rheidol)
The Vale of Rheidol Railway (Rheilffordd Cwm Rheidol) is a 1 ft 11 ¾ in narrow gauge heritage railway that runs for 11 ¾ miles between the coast at Aberystw...
St James's Well, Abinger
Well and wellhead, built by William John Evelyn in 1893. Grade II listed. http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-289977-st-james-s-well-abinger
Friday Street
Friday Street is a hamlet on the gentle lower north slope of Leith Hill in Surrey. It is in a wooded headwater ravine, just to the south of Wotton and the A2...
Blyth Marsh to Thorpe Turnpike
The Blyth Marsh to Thorpe Turnpike was authorised by parliament in 1762. The trust was wound up in 1831.
B5057 Road
The B5057 runs 8.5 miles across rural Derbyshire from Winster to Stone Edge. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=B5057
The Hall at Abbey-Cwm-Hir
Abbey-Cwm-Hir Hall neo-Elizabethan country house in the Welsh village of Abbey-Cwm-Hir. The hall was built in 1833 on the site of a Tudor style house buil...
The Bannisdale Horseshoe
The Bannisdale Horseshoe is, by some margin, the longest and most arduous of the walks in Wainwright's "The Outlying Fells of Lakeland". This book was first ...
St Nicholas, Askham Bryan
The Church of St Nicholas in Askham Bryan is a Grade 1 listed building of Norman origin, built in the 12th century (with a small bell tower added in the 17th...
King Street, Leeds
The 4th White Cloth Hall was a market for the sale of undyed cloth on King Street. The 4th White Cloth hall was built in 1868 by the North Eastern Railway...
Church of St Mary the Virgin, South Luffenham
The church comprises an aisled nave with chancel, this having a chapel on the south side, west tower with spire and south porch. It originated as a typica...
The War Memorials of Norfolk & Suffolk
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We...
Vintage Sports Car Club
Some photographs taken at the Mill Inn, Coulter, Biggar, where I had turned up for a birthday lunch for my wife and found that we were in the middle of the l...
St Ann's Mills, Kirkstall, Leeds
St Ann’s Mill was constructed before 1771 (when it first appears on Jefferys' map) and operated as a "traditional" fulling and scribbling mill serving family...
Bungay’s Peace Year Street Signs, 1919
At the end of the Great War in 1919 the Suffolk town of Bungay installed specially commissioned street signs around the town. Although metal was in short s...
Blenheim Walk, Leeds
Blenheim County Secondary School once stood here but 100 years previously Yeadon House stood on this site. Not sure which of the two these gateposts came from,