St Margaret's Church Hales :: Shared Description

The isolated church is a rare Norman 12th Century survivor, its surrounding medieval village and manor houses being long forgotten. The new village of hales is now 1km to the north.
The nave and chancel are constructed from whatever the builders could find, from Roman tiles LinkExternal link to glacial erratics LinkExternal link and ferruginous conglomerate LinkExternal link. Limestone was imported from Caen, Normandy to finish off the nice areas and carve the doorways LinkExternal link LinkExternal link. The rough wall was plastered white with four simple windows of which one survives LinkExternal link. Soon after the church was finished the tower was added, slightly rougher in construction LinkExternal link. Evidence suggests a completion date for the nave and chancel of 1140. Originally the chancel was barrel vaulted however this was taken down or fell down, then the nave and chancel extended in height by 90cm. This work seems to have been done in the 13th century with the vault collapse/removal.
In 1270 the church was granted by Alan, son of Elias of Heckingham and Ralph de Chedgrave and his wife Emma to St Olaves Priory LinkExternal link. The last mentioned vicar was in 1458 (Hugh Croke) before the priory closed the vicarage after appropriation. Stripped of its living the church became rather poor. Because of this the chancel was never "straightened out" unlike at Poringland. LinkExternal link. With the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537 the church passed to the crown where an impropriator was paid £5 per annum to look after it. In 1841 the churches of Heckingham and Hales joined under one impropriator. The church was made redundant in 1973 after years of no services and is now under the care of the Churches Conservation trust LinkExternal link.
Inside there are several nice early 14th C wall paintings, St Christopher and St James for example. The octagonal font is rather modern for this church being from the 15th century.
by Ashley Dace
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

14 images use this description:

TM3896 : Norman Doorway by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Norman Arch Hales St Margaret by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Ferruginous Conglomerate by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Hales Norman Church by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Roman Tile by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Hales St Margaret by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Roman Tiles in the Wall by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Large Stone in Hales Church by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Circles in the Limestone by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Crosses on the Wall by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : The Bell Tower by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Original Window by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Carving on the Norman Arch by Ashley Dace
TM3896 : Face in the Stone by Ashley Dace


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Updated: Wed, 30 Jun 2010

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2010 Ashley Dace, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register