Manchester, Bolton & Bury Canal :: Shared Description
The Manchester Bolton & Bury Canal is a disused canal, built to link Bolton and Bury with Manchester. The canal, when fully completed in 1796, was 15 miles long. It was connected with the River Irwell in Salford, in 1808.
From Salford the canal ran up the Irwell valley to reach Nob End, where it climbed the Prestolee Locks, and then split into two branches leading to Bolton and Bury. The canal was built principally to serve the many collieries in the area, as well as to transport other cargo such as stone and timber.
By 1846 a parallel railway had been built to Bury, and the canal went into decline. The Bolton arm went out of use in 1924, though with some minor use until 1947. The Bury arm was breached just above Nob End in 1936, but the then isolated Bury arm continued to be used until 1951, principally between the canalside Ladyshore Colliery and Bury. The final section of the canal was officially closed in 1961, and much of it was filled in.
Exploring Greater Manchester, a fieldwork guide (web edition); edited by Paul Hindle, Manchester Geographical Society
Manchester Bolton & Bury Canal Society website
Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal, Pennine Waterways
Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions
286 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:
... and 261 more images.
These Shared Descriptions
are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Updated: Tue, 16 Nov 2010
The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2010 David Dixon, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.