Seething Airfield :: Shared Description

Built by John Laing & Sons in 1942/43 to the standard Class A requirement for heavy bombers, Seething airfield was initially known as RAF 258 Seething. After the arrival of the United States Army Air Forces Eighth Air Force 448th Bombardment Group (Heavy) it became USAAF Station 146.

After the last Americans had left in June/July 1945, the airfield was used for storing bombs and munitions. In 1947, part of the buildings on the Hospital site were converted into temporary dwellings and most of the land was returned to agriculture. The eastern section, including part of the main runway, is currently Seething Airfield, home to the Waveney Flying Group. The former Control tower has since been restored and now houses a memorial museum. The Seething Control Tower Museum is open on the first Sunday of the month from May to October. LinkExternal link.

See also: LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak
Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

83 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TM3195 : The control tower (now museum) at Seething Airfield by Evelyn Simak
TG3724 : Blister hangar at Richardson's boatyard by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : Water tower in the woods by Evelyn Simak
TM3196 : Old airfield-Seething by Ashley Dace
TM3294 : Entrance to an air raid shelter by Evelyn Simak
TM3195 : Farm built on the Seething airfield runway by Ashley Dace
TM3294 : Entrance of an air raid shelter by Evelyn Simak
TM3196 : Reinforced concrete at former aircraft storage area by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : Entrance to an air raid shelter by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : Overgrown building in the wood by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : Gated entrance to derelict buildings by Evelyn Simak
TM3196 : Private road to Agritek Fertiliser plant by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : Running paint and cracking plaster by Evelyn Simak
TM3195 : The control tower (now museum) at Seething Airfield by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : View from one derelict building to another by Evelyn Simak
TM3195 : Seething Control Tower Museum by Evelyn Simak
TM3195 : Old pyrotechnic store by Seething Airfield by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : Nettles growing on windowsill of derelict building by Evelyn Simak
TM3095 : A small heap of old bricks by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : Derelict Building at Seething Airfield Administration site by Ashley Dace
TM3294 : Air raid shelter exposed by Evelyn Simak
TM3095 : Farm buildings beside Harvey's Lane by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : A field of wheat by Evelyn Simak
TM3294 : Old Nissen huts by Evelyn Simak
TM3195 : Seething Control Tower Museum by Evelyn Simak

... and 58 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Updated: Sat, 28 Jun 2014

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2010 Evelyn Simak, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted