St Thomas a Becket church Brightling :: Shared Description
is mentioned in the Domesday Book.
The original church was probably timber construction.
After the conquest, the Earl of Eu was awarded the Rape of Hastings, and built a stone church at Brightling
. Nothing pre 13th Century now exists.
In the time of Henry III the estate was forfeited by the crown and passed to Sir Anthony Browne, see TQ7515 : Tomb of Sir Anthony Browne and wife, St Mary's church, Battle
The avowson was eventually acquired by William Burrell in 1673.
The church stands adjacent to Brightling
park and is built in Hastings Sandstone. The tower is 13th C., battlements and buttresses were added in 14th C. The north chapel is also 13th C. and the north aisle and arcade added in 14th C.as well as the pointed chancel arch. The roof is a Waggon type 14-15C. braced rafter construction. A gallery was erected in the west end of the church in the 18th Century.
It accommodates the famous Barrel organ.
There are several medieval wall paintings in the north aisle.
Repairs and restorations followed in 1885 and 1903 when several of the brass slabs were fixed to the walls. There are several monuments of interest including a fine bust of "Mad Jack Fuller" by Henry Rouw. Fuller's Pyramid mausoleum stands in the churchyard.
Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions
11 images use this description:
These Shared Descriptions
are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sat, 10 Mar 2012, Updated: Sun, 1 Apr 2012
The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2012 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.