Appuldurcombe House :: Shared Description
Appuldurcombe began as a priory in 1100. It became a convent, then the home of the Leigh family. From there, the site came into the ownership of the Worsleys. The present house was started in 1702, replacing the Tudor mansion. The architect was John James. Sir Robert never saw the house completed as he died on 29 July 1747. The house was extended in the 1770s by his great nephew Sir Richard Worsley. Capability Brown was commissioned in 1779 to design the ornamental grounds at the same time as the extensions. The subsequent owner, Charles Anderson-Pelham made few changes to the house. In 1855 the estate was sold. An unsuccessful business venture ran Appuldurcombe as a hotel but with its failure the house was then leased for use as a college for young gentlemen. The house was inhabited for a few years in the early 20th century by the large community of Benedictine monks. Troops were billeted in the house during both world wars. It was badly damaged in the Second World War when a Dornier 217 turned inland and dropped its final mine on February 7th 1943 very close to the house before crashing into St Martin's Down. The house is now mainly a shell, its front section has been re-roofed and glazed, and a small part of the interior recreated. The house is reputed to be the most haunted place on the island.
Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions
1 image uses this description:
These Shared Descriptions
are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 6 May 2012, Updated: Sun, 6 May 2012
The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2012 Jo Turner, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.