Oban Airport (North Connel) :: Shared Description
Completed in the early months of World War 2 and originally known as RAF Connel Ferry, the airfield initially served as both an emergency landing ground and an annex to the Oban flying boat base. In January 1944, it became an air ammunition park but continued to receive aircraft until the RAF departed on 16 October 1945. Purchased by Oban Burgh Council in 1967, commercial flights were operated by Loganair for a few months between Oban, Glasgow and Mull. However, for much of the past 45 years, the airfield has been the preserve of private pilots and the Connel Flying Club.
Following studies initiated in 1999, Argyll & Bute Council secured funding in 2005 and over the following years spend some £9 million resurfacing the main runway at Connel, constructing new passenger facilities and a new control tower and upgrading the airfields on Colonsay and Coll. Today in mid-2012, Hebridean Air Services Link
provide regular week-day flights from Connel to Colonsay, Islay, Tiree and Coll.
The airport is situated to the north of Connel Bridge
, just beyond the village of North Connel and off the A85 – signposted Oban Airport (North Connel). The airport’s web site may be found: Link
and its Facebook page on:Link
Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions
280 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:
... and 255 more images.
These Shared Descriptions
are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Updated: Thu, 24 Mar 2016
The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2012 TheTurfBurner, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.