Aberdeen churches past and present

( Page 1 2 3 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright September 2014, Bill Harrison; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Churches built for the Episcopal Church


NJ9406 : St Andrew's Cathedral, King Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison St Andrew's Cathedral on King Street was designed by Archibald Simpson and built in sandstone (A-listed).

NJ9205 : St Mary's Scottish Episcopal Church (The Tartan Kirkie) by Bill Harrison NJ9205 : Tartan Kirkie in close up by Bill Harrison The A-listed St Mary's Episcopal Church, known to all as the Tartan Kirkie, was almost destroyed in 1943 by a German bomb but painstakingly rebuilt after the war.

NJ9406 : St Margaret of Scotland Episcopal Church, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison St Margaret's Episcopal Church just off Gallowgate is distinctly high church in its leanings and until recently housed an order of Anglican nuns.

NJ9305 : St John's Scottish Episcopal Church, St John's Place, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison St John's Episcopal Church is, appropriately enough, to be found on St John's Place to the south of Union Street.

NJ9305 : St James' Episcopal Church... by Bill Harrison St James' Episcopal Church occupies a prominent site at the junction of Union Street and Holburn Street.

NJ9408 : St Ninian's Scottish Episcopal Church, King Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison The 1930s St Ninian's Episcopal Church on King Street was in danger of collapse and paid for repairs by selling off the church grounds for housing...

NJ9007 : St Clement's Scottish Episcopal Church, Mastrick by Bill Harrison St Clement's Episcopal Church in Mastrick relocated from the Episcopal mission in Footdee to serve the huge 1960s council estate.

NJ9208 : All Saints' Episcopal Church, Smithfield Road by Bill Harrison NJ9208 : All Saints' Episcopal Church by Bill Harrison All Saints' Episcopal Church, which serves the Hilton and Woodside areas, was built in the 1930s and is B-listed.

NJ9505 : Christian Centre, Victoria Road, Torry by Bill Harrison St Peter's (Torry) Episcopal Church started life as a mission hut. It has now been converted to sheltered housing.

Churches built for the Roman Catholic Church


NJ9406 : St Peter's Catholic Church, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison St Peter's Church, hidden away in an alley off the Castlegate, was the first Catholic church in Aberdeen since the Reformation.

NJ9306 : St Mary's RC Cathedral, Huntly Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison St Mary's Cathedral on Huntly Street shows that Catholic confidence in Aberdeen rapidly grew as the 19th Century progressed, despite attacks from the pulpits of Protestant churches.

NJ9405 : Sacred Heart (Roman Catholic) Church, Sinclair Road, Torry by Bill Harrison Sacred Heart RC Church in Torry is unique for its' "crazy paving" masonry.

NJ9208 : St Joseph's RC Church, Woodside by Bill Harrison St Joseph's RC Church in Woodside replaced a nearby church of the same name, which was demolished to accommodate housing on nearby Tanfield Walk.

NJ9303 : Our Lady of Aberdeen RC Church, Kincorth by Bill Harrison Our Lady of Aberdeen RC Church in Kincorth dates from the 1960s.

NJ9007 : Holy Family (Roman Catholic) Church, Upper Mastrick Way, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison Holy Family RC Church in Mastrick has an exotic, almost Byzantine, design.


Churches built for the Congregational Church


The Congregational Church in Aberdeen has not fared well in recent years and all eight churches listed by Gammie (1909) are either demolished, disused or converted to other uses.

NJ9306 : Former Belmont Congregational Church, Belmont Street by Bill Harrison The magnificent Italianate A-listed Belmont Street Congregational Church is now a nightclub.

NJ9306 : Former Skene Street Congregational Church by Bill Harrison Skene Street Congregational Church (B-listed) is now converted to offices.

NJ9208 : Former Woodside Congregational Church... by Bill Harrison Woodside Congregational Church on Great Northern Road has been disused and near derelict for many years.

NJ9406 : Beach Boulevard, Aberdeen (approximate site of Albion Street Congregational Church) by Bill Harrison The famous Albion Street Congregational Church, which pioneered spiritual outreach to working-class slums in Aberdeen was demolished in the 1960s as part of road improvement work.

NJ9306 : The Mither Tap (originally John Street Congregational Church) by Bill Harrison John Street Congregational Church is now a bar with the clever name of the Mither Tap.

NJ9406 : St Paul's Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison St Paul Street Congregational Church was demolished in the 1960s to make way for a multi-storey car-park.

NJ9406 : Maritime Museum, Shiprow, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison Trinity Congregational Church has found a new use as Aberdeen's splendid maritime museum.

NJ9305 : The Junction Charismatic Church, Bon Accord Terrace, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison Bon-Accord Congregational Church is now occupied by a charismatic sect called The Junction.


Churches built for other sects


NJ9406 : The Citadel by Bill Harrison The gigantic Salvation Army Citadel, modelled on Balmoral Castle, still dominates the Castlegate.

NJ9305 : Crown Terrace Baptist Church by Bill Harrison Crown Terrace Baptist Church dates from ca. 1863.

NJ9305 : Alford Place Free Presbyterian Church by Bill Harrison The Free Presbyterian Church on Alford Place now occupies the former library of the Free Church training college across the road.

NJ9106 : Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison The (Mormon) Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on North Anderson Drive must have caused quite a stir in 1958 with its ultra-modern design.

NJ9306 : Former Gilcomston Park Baptist Church by Bill Harrison Gilcomston Park Baptist Church is now occupied by a charismatic sect.

NJ9306 : Aberdeen Boys' Brigade HQ, Crimon Place, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison The Original Secession Church built their church in 1894 but disbanded as early as 1907 and passed the almost new building over to the Boys' Brigade, who still occupy it.

NJ9305 : Crown Terrace Methodist Church by Bill Harrison Crown Terrace Methodist Church recently celebrated its 250th anniversary.

NJ9305 : Quaker Meeting House, Crown Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison The Quakers (Society of Friends) have had a presence in Aberdeen since the 17th Century and suffered much persecution; their modest meeting hall dates from around 1903.

NJ9306 : Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, Skene Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison The Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Skene Street once belonged to the Unitarians...

NJ9306 : Unitarian Church, Skene Terrace, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison ...who now occupy the former Kingdom Hall on Skene Terrace, after a "church swap" between the two organisations.

NJ9306 : Hebron Evangelical Church, Summer Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison Hebron Evangelical Church occupy the church hall of the former Denburn Parish Church.

NJ9305 : 71 Dee Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison Aberdeen Spiritualist Centre occupies a fine Georgian villa on Dee Street.

NJ9307 : Bon Accord Spiritualist Church by Bill Harrison Bon-Accord Spiritualist Church can be found on Fraser Place, off George Street.

NJ9505 : Footdee Gospel Hall by Bill Harrison Footdee Gospel Hall dates from 1951.

NJ9103 : Bible Hall, Auchinyell Road, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison This bible hall in on Auchinyell Road, Garthdee.

NJ9405 : Torry Mission Hut, South Esplanade West, Torry by Bill Harrison Torry Mission Hut seems to be the last survivor of "iron kirkie" missions in Aberdeen.


Other places of worship


NJ9305 : Aberdeen Synagogue, Dee Street, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison Aberdeen Synagogue, Dee Street.

NJ9307 : Aberdeen Mosque by Bill Harrison Aberdeen Mosque, on College Bounds, was converted to its present use in the 1990s.

NJ9305 : Crown Terrace Mosque, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison Crown Terrace Mosque.

NJ8905 : Thai Buddhist temple, Queen's Road, Aberdeen by Bill Harrison The Thai Buddhist temple on Queen's Road was originally the lodge for Oldmill Poorhouse and later part of Woodend Hospital.
KML

( Page 1 2 3 )
You are not logged in login | register