Links to online Webmapping sites
Published: 14 November 2008
note that many of these sites are linked to directly from every photo on the site - just follow the 'More Links for...' link to be taken to resources focused on the right area.
- Includes "Birds eye" aerial views taken at an oblique angle, and OS 1:25K maps.
- Includes 1:25K OS mapping
- the place for OS mapping (widely in use on the Geograph website)
- high resolution mapping for England, Scotland and Wales, including good aerial photos
wtp2.appspot.com (Where's the path?)
- Displays "OS and Google Mapping side by side"
maps.live.com (now redirects to Bing)
- Interactive draggable map showing Geograph coverage overlaid in OS maps
- The public body that looks after England's historic environment
Historic England map search
- On zooming in to a place, displays detailed OS mapping
- OpenData information about Rights of Way
- Local history news, links and societies.
- Official British government national archives
- Isle of Man Government - Maps
Locating photos - Republic of Ireland - which has more up-to-date information.
- registration needed, but decent mapping available once signed up
- no registration needed - beware uses ITM coordinates on display - best to work visually with gridlines.
- See also Locating photos - Republic of Ireland Article
- user contributed free (as in speech) wiki map of the world
See also Tools for using Grid References with other mapping sites