SK76 in Nottinghamshire

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright January 2012, Humphrey Bolton; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Egmanton

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SK7368 : Entering Egmanton from the west by Andrew Hill
The approach to the village along Kirton Road.
by Andrew Hill


SK7368 : Track to the village from Egmanton Wood by Andrew Hill
The countryside around here is attractive, gently undulating, mainly arable farmland.
by Andrew Hill


SK7368 : St Mary, Egmanton by John Salmon
St Mary's Church has a late 12C north arcade, 14C windows in the transept and 15C west tower (Pevsner). In 1896 the 7th Duke of Newcastle revived an ancient cult and re-established the shrine of Our Lady of Egmanton. He commissioned Sir Ninian Comper to furnish and decorate the inside, with breathtaking results - a magnificent organ, rood screen, pulpit, altars in the chapels, east window and the shrine of the Virgin Mary... (Richard Croft)


SK7368 : Motte at Egmanton by Jonathan Thacker
The 12C motte near the church appears to have been one of a chain of similar motte and bailey castles along the southern edge of Sherwood Forest. (SLS)



SK7368 : St Mary, Egmanton - Organ by John Salmon
This is the upper part of the organ.



SK7368 : St Mary, Egmanton - Statue by John Salmon
Depicting the Madonna & Child
by John Salmon


SK7368 : Wesleyan Chapel, Egmanton by JThomas
Dated 1894, There are schoolrooms at the rear.


SK7368 : Barn at Egmanton by Jonathan Thacker
A well kept example of a typical mid-Notts small barn.
by Jonathan Thacker


SK7368 : Egmanton Village Hall by Jonathan Thacker
The former school.
by Jonathan Thacker


SK7368 : The Old Plough Inn by Richard Croft
Egmanton hostelry, closed, boarded up and with an uncertain future
by Richard Croft


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

To the west of the village at SK721687 there is a complex of medieval fishponds, sluices associated with water meadows, and a moated site. (SLS) A public footpath passes the site.

SK7268 : Medieval fishponds by Richard Croft
Dried complex of Medieval fishponds off Kirton Road, west of Egmanton, a scheduled ancient monument
by Richard Croft


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7068 : Kirton Wood Nature Reserve by Richard Croft
To the west of Egmanton, in Kirton civil parish, Kirton Wood is a semi-natural ash and wych elm wood which covers 46 hectares. It was purchased by the Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust in 1985 and has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest. See LinkExternal link


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

This converted windmill is in Tuxford civil parish.

SK7669 : Stone Road End Mill by Richard Croft
Mid 19th century 4-storey tower mill by Egmanton crossing on the East Coast mainline, now a private house
by Richard Croft


Grassthorpe

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

Grassthorpe was a township in the ancient parish of Marnham. (Youngs)

SK7967 : Weeping Willows by Richard Croft
Weeping Willows overhanging Grassthorpe Beck
by Richard Croft


SK7967 : The Manor, Grassthorpe by JThomas
The Manor house is Grade II listed. It has a diamond-shaped datestone on the left chimney, inscribed 'M B E 1697'.


SK7967 : Grassthorpe pinfold by Richard Croft
The stone set into the wall is inscribed: 'This stone was placed by the parishioners of Grassthorpe, to commemorate the diamond jubilee of H.M. Queen Victoria, 1897.'.


SK7967 : Weeping Willows by Richard Croft
Weeping Willows overhanging Grassthorpe Beck
by Richard Croft


Kersall

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

Kersall was a township in the ancient parish of Kneesall. (Youngs)

SK7162 : Kersall by Richard Croft
The road to the village. John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72, included this information: 'The manor is held by the Duke of Newcastle under the duchy of Lancaster. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.'


Kneesall

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7064 : Church of St. Bartholomew, Kneesall by Christine Hasman
St Bartholomew's Church has a richly decorated west tower of c.1425 with gabled and traceried battlements and angels in place of gargoyles. (Pevsner)


SK7064 : Old Hall, Kneesall by Martin Jones
Old Hall is an early brick house, of c.1525, originally with brick mullioned windows but much altered. (Pevsner and Martin Jones)


SK7064 : The Angel Inn, Kneesall by James Hill
A nice village pub in Kneesall.
by James Hill


KML

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
You are not logged in login | register