SK76 in Nottinghamshire

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright January 2012, Humphrey Bolton; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Laxton

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7267 : Village view of Laxton by Andrew Hill
The church tower and houses attractively clustered below, with a paddock in the foreground and two donkeys.
by Andrew Hill


SK7267 : Laxton village looking west by Robert Goulden
Laxton is the Nottinghamshire village famous for still working to the medieval three open field strip system. The view is from the Dovecote Inn.
by Robert Goulden


SK7267 : Laxton Village by roger geach
Looking towards the church near the Dovecote Inn.
by roger geach


SK7167 : High Street, Laxton (2) by Jonathan Thacker
This is the western part of High Street.


SK7267 : Laxton Church by Robert Goulden
St Michael's Church (dedicated to St Michael the Archangel) has a nave clerestory decorated on the south side with blind tracery and shields, and eight pinnacles. It was built by Archbishop Rotherham, who was lord of the manor for a short time c.1490. The earliest parts of the church were built in the 12C, but the interior is mainly in Early English style, with an early 14C chancel, with an Easter Sepulchre. The roof of the nave rests on shafts decorated with apostles and musician angels. (Pevsner)


SK7267 : St.Michael's church by Richard Croft
St.Michael's has Early English origins, notably the lower tower and arcades, Decorated sedilia and Easter Sepulchre and lofty Perpendicular clerestorey added by Archbishop Rotherham in c1490. A restoration of 1859-60 by Hine & Evans completes the story.
by Richard Croft


SK7266 : Converted Chapel, Laxton by Jonathan Thacker
The original chapel is barely recognisable.
by Jonathan Thacker


SK7267 : Laxton pinfold by Richard Croft
The local parish council with the assistance and funding from Nottinghamshire County Councilís Building Better Communities budget have completely renovated the Pinfold. It is now in the form of an outdoor classroom where school children can learn about the Village and farming system in a safe and unique setting. (from the Laxton Visitor Centre website)


SK7267 : The former Post Office, Laxton by Jonathan Thacker
The items in the shop window are all dummies and not for sale.
by Jonathan Thacker


SK7267 : Ivy House Farm, Laxton by Jonathan Thacker
Ivy House Farm is a 17C farmhouse, refronted and extended in the mid 18C. It is Grade II listed.


SK7267 : Castle mound at Laxton, Nottinghamshire by Robert Goulden
The mound is the site of a 11th century castle which consisted of motte with inner and outer baileys. A manor house was built here in the 17th century which utilised fish ponds said to pre-date it.
by Robert Goulden



SK7364 : Access path to field by James Hill
A scene near the southern extremity of Laxton. The field is enclosed land and not part of the South Field of the open field system.


The open fields of Laxton

SK7267 : Laxton - Dovecote Inn by Robert Goulden
The Dovecote Inn at Laxton, Nottinghamshire. An outbuilding in the yard houses a visitors centre which gives information about the unique agricultural history of this unassuming village.
by Robert Goulden


The Visitor Centre is open from Dawn to Dusk and has displays showing the history of the open fields system, aerial shots of the village, a description of how the system is operated and suggestions as to why it still exists in Laxton. This is the only remaining working open field farming village in Europe. LinkExternal link .

There is a recommended viewpoint (ShEV p213) at SK721651, at the top of a hill on the north side of Kneesall Wood. The village can be seen in the distance, and South Field is to the right and Mill Field to the left.

SK7265 : Kersall Road by Richard Croft
This view is a little further down the hill towards the village of Laxton.


The fields were divided into blocks of strips (furlongs), and access was by grassy ways, called sykes or sicks. The individual strips, or lands, were once demarcated by posts or stones. (ShEV) Each farmer had strips scattered throughout the fields, so that the better and not so good land was shared equally. One reason for the retention of the open fields is that the soil was not rich enough to offer much return to 'improving' landlords. As a result, the farmhouses, cottages and barns are all modest, mostly rebuilt after 1700. The oldest is Bar farm (1703) (ShEV p213).
Laxton also has well-preserved motte and bailey castle earthworks, and there are humps and hollows marking the site of a 16C manor house. (ShEV)

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7065 : Path to Laxton by Michael Patterson
This track is also a public footpath to Laxton. It passes through West Field on its way into the village. West Field is one of the three fields that surround the village where the mediaeval practice of crop rotation is still practised.
by Michael Patterson


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7166 : Mill Field by Richard Croft
Historic landscape west of Laxton
by Richard Croft
Shared Description


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7265 : Footpath to Laxton by Michael Patterson
This footpath crosses the South Field of Laxton's three field system. The power station in the distance is at High Marnham.
by Michael Patterson


Moorhouse

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7466 : Moorhouse by Richard Croft
Entering Moorhouse from Laxton
by Richard Croft



SK7566 : Church Farm and the lane to Moorhouse Chapel by Jonathan Thacker
What would winter in the country be without mud !
by Jonathan Thacker


St Nicholas's Chapel, a 'chapel of ease' in the parish of Laxton.

SK7566 : Moorhouse Chapel by Richard Croft
By Henry Clutton 1860-1 at the expense of Viscount Ossington of Ossington Hall. The nave and chancel division is marked by the buttresses and bellcote
by Richard Croft


Maplebeck

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7160 : Church of St. Radegund, Maplebeck by Christine Hasman
St Radegund's Church has been much restored in 1898. The west tower with its short broach spire is probably of the 14C. (Pevsner)


SK7160 : St. Radegund's church by Richard Croft
Largely 13th & 14th century church, restored by Hodgson Fowler in 1898

One of only 5 churches dedicated to St. Radegund, a 6th century German princess. The others are at Grayingham Link Scruton Link Postling Link and Whitwell Link
by Richard Croft


SK7160 : Low Farmhouse by Richard Croft
16th century timber-framed farmhouse in Maplebeck
by Richard Croft


SK7160 : The Beehive by Richard Croft
Fantastic village pub with a very warm welcome in Maplebeck, claiming to be the smallest pub in Nottinghamshire LinkExternal link
by Richard Croft


Normanton-on-Trent

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7969 : Village scene, Normanton on Trent by Andrew Hill
Looking east past the lane junction by the church.
by Andrew Hill


SK7969 : Lane into Normanton on Trent by Andrew Hill
Looking towards the church with a grid intersection somewhere near the middle of the picture.
by Andrew Hill


SK7968 : South Street, Normanton on Trent by Andrew Hill
Looking north towards the centre of the village from close to the Crown pub.
by Andrew Hill


SK7968 : South Street by Richard Croft
Main Street Normanton-on-Trent
by Richard Croft


SK7969 : St Matthew's Church, Normanton on Trent by Andrew Hill
St Matthew's Church has a west tower surrounded by tall beech and elm trees. The north arcade was built in the 13C, and south arcade later. There is a school opposite the east end of the church, just a plain bridge cottage dated 1776. (Pevsner)


SK7969 : St.Matthew's nave by Richard Croft
Fourteenth century nave and chancel arch in St.Matthew's church
by Richard Croft


SK7968 : Normanton Methodist Church by Richard Croft
Bold red brick Methodist church, looks late 19th century
by Richard Croft


SK7968 : The School House by Richard Croft
Grade II listed former school house, later a cottage and currently empty with a dedication plaque over the door

Henry Jackson of this town Gent built and endowed this school for four pounds a year for the education of ten poor children belonging to this parish Anno Dom 1776
by Richard Croft


SK7969 : The Square and Compass by Andrew Hill
A pub on Gracefield Lane heading east out of the village of Normanton on Trent.
by Andrew Hill



KML

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
You are not logged in login | register