The North Yorkshire Moors Railway
Opened fully in 1836, this was one of the earliest branch lines in Britain.
The heritage railway of today runs from Pickering to Grosmont, and forms a junction with the Esk Valley line from Middlesbrough to Whitby. Until services were discontinued in 1965, trains always terminated in Whitby. Initially, NYMR trains could only travel as far as Grosmont, but since 2007, have been able to cover the whole line to Whitby, using the Network Rail line and stations.
Pickering railway station:
Once at the centre of several rural branch lines, the station and line is now blocked in to the south by new developments. The grandiose 'overall' roof was reinstated in 2012.
The railway quickly leaves the confines of the town and heads north west, following the valley of Pickering Beck:
The line continues north, alongside Pickering beck, through the woodland of Newton Vale:
Levisham railway station:
Almost 2 kilometers by road from the village of Levisham, this lonely halt is actually closer to the larger village of Newton-on-Rawcliff, which has no passenger access!
The line continues north west up Newton Vale, through some wild and remote scenery:
This station has no road access and serves as a 'request' stop for walkers.
( Page 1 2 3 next >> )