Geograph Knowledgebase / FAQ
More Help Pages
Topics: (show all)
· 8mb · accessibility · account x 2 · accuracy x 2 · add credit · add link · advertising · aerial x 3 · annotated photo · anonymou x 2 · answer · api · archive picture x 2 · article x 3 · artist · auto-rotate · bloat x 2 · blurred · bng · botanical name · british national grid x 2 · broken image · broken thumbnail · browse · browse page · bucket x 2 · bug · cache · camera · camera phone · camera position · camera setting · categorie x 2 · category · cave · cc licence x 4 · centisquare x 3 · change credit · channel isle · citation · classification x 6 · clear search list · clone · close account · close look x 2 · close look. · collection x 3 · community showcase · complaint · contact a member · contact contributor · contact photographer · contribute · cookie · coordinate conversion · copyright x 6 · correct · coverage map · creative commons x 9 · credit x 7 · credit source · cross grid x 3 · cross-grid x 2 · cross-linking · crosslink · csv · daily photo · date x 3 · delete x 4 · delete shared description · delete photo · delete sd · delete search x 2 · depth · description · detail x 4 · developer · discus x 2 · discussion x 3 · discussion topic · distribution · download x 2 · download image · downloading · drag-and-drop · draggable · draggable map x 2 · drop-down search list · easting · edit x 3 · edit detail · edit image · edit photo · edit profile · edit submission · email x 2 · error · etiquette x 2 · excel · exif · export · external link · external website · extra x 2 · family · family archive · faq · favourite x 2 · featured · featured content · featured photo x 3 · featured photograph · fee · feedback · fewest photo · file size · find · find place on map · first geograph · font size · forget · forget location · forgotten · forgotten location · formatting text · forum x 9 · fourth · from bu · from car · from moving vehicle · from train · front page · front page picture x 2 · gallery x 3 · geograph x 2 · geograph point · geographical context x 2 · geographism x 3 · germany · google earth · google fusion table · google image search · google map · goty · gps x 2 · gr · grid reference x 2 · grid square x 2 · grid square discussion · hamster · hectad · hi-res image · high resolution · higher resolution · hit counter · home page · home page image · home page photo x 2 · home page pic · hyperlink · id x 2 · id number x 2 · identification · image id · image number · image quality · image search · image size x 2 · image type · image type tag x 3 · improve image · improve quality · index · inside x 2 · interior shot · ipad · iphone · irish grid · italic · itt x 4 · kml · labelling · landscape · larger image · larger size x 2 · lat/lon · law · leaderboard x 3 · legal · licence x 12 · lighting condition x 2 · limited · link x 5 · link description · link photo · link style · linking · linking a photo · location map grid square · lost image · lost photo · lost picture · map x 5 · map marker · marked list · media repository · media upload x 2 · mine · mislocated image · missing image · missing photo · missing thumbnail · mistake x 4 · mobile · mobile phone · moderation x 3 · more · more size · most photo · multi · multi submit · multi-submit · multi-upload · multiple account · my featured image · my image · my photo x 3 · my picture · my searche · my shared description · my square · my thumbed · myriad x 2 · national grid · new faq answer · new faq question · ngr · night · northing · not yet allocated · notification · old photo x 2 · old photograph · old postcard · old submission · open source · ordnance survey · orientation · os · osgb36 · other countrie · out of copyright · out-of-copyright photo · page · painting · partial date · password · pending · people x 2 · personal map x 2 · personal point x 3 · personalisation · photo editing · photo id x 4 · photo information · photo number · photo of the day x 3 · photo of the week x 3 · photo of the year x 3 · photo quality · photo-shop · photograph of the day · photographer name · photography x 2 · picture of the day x 2 · point x 8 · poor image · poor photo · popular · popular image · popular photo · popular picture · portrait · posed photo · post x 2 · postcard · potd · potw x 3 · poty x 3 · precision · prefix · print · privacy · private email · profile x 9 · profile extra · pseudonym · public acces · public domain · question · quoting · rating · re-use · recent · red/green map x 2 · reject · remove x 4 · remove larger size · remove photo x 2 · remove sd · remove search x 2 · repeat visitor point · replace image · result · retrieve image · retrieve photo · retrieve picture · reuse · right way up · rights of way · rotation · rss · save change · save search x 2 · search x 8 · search history · second · select multiple file · selected image · selection · shadow x 2 · shared description x 3 · showcase · showcase gallery · sideway · sitemap · snippet · speculative upload x 2 · spreadsheet · squirrel · statistic x 2 · style · subject · subject tag · submission x 8 · submitting · suggestion x 2 · supplemental x 7 · support · supporting information · t point · t-point · tag x 4 · tagging · team · text size · themed topic · third · this day in past year · this day in the past · thumb x 3 · thumbed · thumbed description · thumbed photo · thumbs up x 2 · thumbs-up x 2 · ticket x 2 · tile · time · time point · time serie · tinap · today · today's photo · top tag x 2 · tpoint x 5 · tunnel · turn around. 90 degree · underground · unknown · unknown date · unsave search · update · url x 5 · use of my photos around the site · use of photo · user guide · user-generated map · using geograph material x 4 · v2 submit x 2 · vaulting · video · view direction · viewbag · viewpoint · visitor counter · visitor point x 2 · voting x 3 · walk-through · wgs84 · whats it all about · where · where is it? · who · wikimedia · wikipedia · window reflection · worldwide · wrong way up
(show all questions)
(show all questions)
- How do I: change my password Close
- If you know your current password, just login as normal view your Profile, and click the 'Edit your profile' link.
If you don't remember your password, use the 'Forgotten Password' facility, to change your password. You will need the original email address you signed up with.
If you don't remember or are unable to access the email you have setup on your account, then you will need to use the Contact Us link to get help from a volunteer Team Member.
- How do I send private emails Close
- You can contact a contributor directly using the link on their profile or on any of their submitted photographs. If you want to contact them about a specific photograph, using the link on that image will help them know which photo you refer to.
Be aware, not all contributors are still active and may have changed their email address since registering with Geograph.
- I have changed my email address. Can I change the existing email address or do I have to reregister? Close
- Just log into Geograph using your old email address or your nickname, then go to your profile http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile.php?edit=1 and change your email address in the appropriate box and save the change. You'll get a welcome message sent to the new address which contains a link that you need to click to activate the new address.
NOTE: If you are a member of Geograph Project Ltd you will also need to update your email address on the company minisite https://company.geograph.org.uk/company/? (link is on your edit profile page).
- Can I subscribe to a square and receive a notification when new photos are added to it? Close
- Create a search that only find images in the given square, in reverse date submitted order using the search form http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?form=advanced . This one is an example for SN5881: http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=23416804 . Copy the GeoRSS link at the bottom of the search results page. You can either read the feed in an RSS reader such as Google Reader http://www.google.co.uk/reader by adding the link as a new subscription, or you can use an RSS2email service such as Feedmyinbox http://www.feedmyinbox.com/ to receive updates via email.
There is also a link at the bottom of your profile page giving access to a special search showing images uploaded in the last 30 days in any square that you've submitted to.
Finally, you can subscribe to the grid square discussion of a square you're interested in by going to the grid square discussion page and ticking 'notify me of new posts'.
(Inspired by a question asked on the forum by tuppence and answered by barryhunter http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=18&topic=13038 .)
- I'm an artist and would like to use a scene from a geograph in a painting. Is that acceptable? Close
- It depends on how closely your painting resembles the photograph. I can't see any problem with using the information gleaned from any Geograph picture to inspire your painting. On the other hand, if you were to trace the photo and paint it over, you should credit the photographer for their contribution.
If you are in any doubt, just email the contributor (there's a link under the main picture) and ask them; I'm sure most will answer in the same way. You could offer to take a photo of your finished painting and send it to them as a thank you - many would appreciate that.
- I've had a complaint about one of my pictures. What should I do? Close
- It probably depends on the nature and tone of the complaint you've received, and on where you've taken the picture from. You've got three options: respond to the complainant, pass it on to Geograph, or ignore it. In any case, remember that there's nothing wrong with taking pictures from places with public access as long as it doesn't infringe someone's privacy in a very specific manner.
If the complaint is a reasonable request, you may wish to discuss the matter with the complainant directly - they may well be happy with your picture and text once they get to know you a little and realise you're a friendly if slightly excentric square bagger rather than a horse-rustling paedophile terrorist.
If the complaint is irate or makes unreasonable claims for privacy, you may prefer not to let the complainant have your email address. If you don't respond, they can always complain to Geograph. Alternatively, you can forward the complaint to firstname.lastname@example.org , who will deal with it on your behalf. It helps if you present your side of the story and say whether you've taken the picture from a public space, a Public Right of Way or from private property without statutory access. Please make sure that the email address of the complainant shows in the body of the forwarded message.
On the other hand, if you do want to deal with an irate complaint by replying directly, it is usually a good idea to wait a couple of days to diffuse the heat of the moment.
If the complaint is about the text rather than the image, it is often possible to find a wording which will pacify the complainant without distorting the meaning of your text.
(Based on a question asked on the forum by Roger Jones http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=14&topic=14020&dontcount=1&page=0#1 and answered by Evelyn Simak.)
- How do I find the use if my photos ,thumbed ,etc Close
- Click the link 'Use of my photos around the site' near the foot of your profile page.
Follow the link at the top of the page you arrive at to get notification emails of new additions in selected areas.
- Can I change my name to a pseudonym on a submission ? Close
- You can submit all your photos under a pseudonym by changing the name on your Profile http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile.php (link top write on most pages). Note that by doing this, the name will be changed on all photos you have previously submitted from the account. These may already have been used elsewhere, crediting the name originally shown.
You can change the credit on an individual image, for instance if you asked someone else to take it for you, but the name on your profile will still be shown on the photo page and the photographer name will still link back to your profile.
You can open another account under a pseudonym but this will need to be done from a different email address and you will have to take care which account you are signed in with before submitting, making changes or posting in the forums.
- How do I delete my account? no photos submitted Close
- Accounts cannot be deleted - see this answer http://www.geograph.ie/faq3.php#103
If you have submitted no photos the only way anyone can find your account is by trawling through every account number - in November 2015 there are around 122100 of them.
If you are still concerned about your name or email address being available you can edit your profile to anonymise your name and introduce an error into your email address (which is not visible unless you have set it to be so).
- One of my shots was supplemental, I think should be a geograph. Close
- (From 11 May 2016 the Supplemental Classification is replaced by Image Type Tags:
see http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Image-Type-Tags ).
A. Click on your image to open it.
B. Look for the yellow framed exclamation mark under the photo frame (right side)
- "Change image details" and click on here
C. Scroll down until you come to the last blank text box. It has the words "Please describe what's
wrong..." above it.
D. write your thoughts in the box, the more detail the better
E. select the second tick box underneath "Bring the issue to the ..."
F. Click on Submit Changes.
This will raise what is known as a ticket which other moderators in addition to the original moderator who gave the classification you are unsure of, can read. They are likely to comment (some with more detail than others) and you will receive email notification of this. A decision is usually reached within a week. The time frame is to allow as many moderators as possible to read your comments and add their own. Some moderators only volunteer their time at weekends or may just be away.
Reusing Geograph Content
Photo Contributors :: Contributing
· 10 of 163 questions shown. View All
· Can't find the answer you looking for? Ask a question now! ·
the content of this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.
the content of this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.