Geograph Knowledgebase / FAQ
More Help Pages
Topics: (show all)
· 8mb · accessibility · account x 2 · accuracy x 2 · add credit · add link · advertising · aerial x 3 · annotated photo · anonymou x 2 · answer · api · archive picture x 2 · article x 3 · artist · auto-rotate · bloat x 2 · blurred · bng · botanical name · british national grid x 2 · broken image · broken thumbnail · browse · browse page · bucket x 2 · bug · cache · camera · camera phone · camera position · camera setting · categorie x 2 · category · cave · cc licence x 4 · centisquare x 3 · change credit · channel isle · citation · classification x 6 · clear search list · clone · close account · close look x 2 · close look. · collection x 3 · community showcase · complaint · contact a member · contact contributor · contact photographer · contribute · cookie · coordinate conversion · copyright x 6 · correct · coverage map · creative commons x 9 · credit x 7 · credit source · cross grid x 3 · cross-grid x 2 · cross-linking · crosslink · csv · daily photo · date x 3 · delete x 4 · delete shared description · delete photo · delete sd · delete search x 2 · depth · description · detail x 4 · developer · discus x 2 · discussion x 3 · discussion topic · distribution · download x 2 · download image · downloading · drag-and-drop · draggable · draggable map x 2 · drop-down search list · easting · edit x 3 · edit detail · edit image · edit photo · edit profile · edit submission · email x 2 · error · etiquette x 2 · excel · exif · export · external link · external website · extra x 2 · family · family archive · faq · favourite x 2 · featured · featured content · featured photo x 3 · featured photograph · fee · feedback · fewest photo · file size · find · find place on map · first geograph · font size · forget · forget location · forgotten · forgotten location · formatting text · forum x 9 · fourth · from bu · from car · from moving vehicle · from train · front page · front page picture x 2 · gallery x 3 · geograph x 2 · geograph point · geographical context x 2 · geographism x 3 · germany · google earth · google fusion table · google image search · google map · goty · gps x 2 · gr · grid reference x 2 · grid square x 2 · grid square discussion · hamster · hectad · hi-res image · high resolution · higher resolution · hit counter · home page · home page image · home page photo x 2 · home page pic · hyperlink · id x 2 · id number x 2 · identification · image id · image number · image quality · image search · image size x 2 · image type · image type tag x 3 · improve image · improve quality · index · inside x 2 · interior shot · ipad · iphone · irish grid · italic · itt x 4 · kml · labelling · landscape · larger image · larger size x 2 · lat/lon · law · leaderboard x 3 · legal · licence x 12 · lighting condition x 2 · limited · link x 5 · link description · link photo · link style · linking · linking a photo · location map grid square · lost image · lost photo · lost picture · map x 5 · map marker · marked list · media repository · media upload x 2 · mine · mislocated image · missing image · missing photo · missing thumbnail · mistake x 4 · mobile · mobile phone · moderation x 3 · more · more size · most photo · multi · multi submit · multi-submit · multi-upload · multiple account · my featured image · my image · my photo x 3 · my picture · my searche · my shared description · my square · my thumbed · myriad x 2 · national grid · new faq answer · new faq question · ngr · night · northing · not yet allocated · notification · old photo x 2 · old photograph · old postcard · old submission · open source · ordnance survey · orientation · os · osgb36 · other countrie · out of copyright · out-of-copyright photo · page · painting · partial date · password · pending · people x 2 · personal map x 2 · personal point x 3 · personalisation · photo editing · photo id x 4 · photo information · photo number · photo of the day x 3 · photo of the week x 3 · photo of the year x 3 · photo quality · photo-shop · photograph of the day · photographer name · photography x 2 · picture of the day x 2 · point x 8 · poor image · poor photo · popular · popular image · popular photo · popular picture · portrait · posed photo · post x 2 · postcard · potd · potw x 3 · poty x 3 · precision · prefix · print · privacy · private email · profile x 9 · profile extra · pseudonym · public acces · public domain · question · quoting · rating · re-use · recent · red/green map x 2 · reject · remove x 4 · remove larger size · remove photo x 2 · remove sd · remove search x 2 · repeat visitor point · replace image · result · retrieve image · retrieve photo · retrieve picture · reuse · right way up · rights of way · rotation · rss · save change · save search x 2 · search x 8 · search history · second · select multiple file · selected image · selection · shadow x 2 · shared description x 3 · showcase · showcase gallery · sideway · sitemap · snippet · speculative upload x 2 · spreadsheet · squirrel · statistic x 2 · style · subject · subject tag · submission x 8 · submitting · suggestion x 2 · supplemental x 7 · support · supporting information · t point · t-point · tag x 4 · tagging · team · text size · themed topic · third · this day in past year · this day in the past · thumb x 3 · thumbed · thumbed description · thumbed photo · thumbs up x 2 · thumbs-up x 2 · ticket x 2 · tile · time · time point · time serie · tinap · today · today's photo · top tag x 2 · tpoint x 5 · tunnel · turn around. 90 degree · underground · unknown · unknown date · unsave search · update · url x 5 · use of my photos around the site · use of photo · user guide · user-generated map · using geograph material x 4 · v2 submit x 2 · vaulting · video · view direction · viewbag · viewpoint · visitor counter · visitor point x 2 · voting x 3 · walk-through · wgs84 · whats it all about · where · where is it? · who · wikimedia · wikipedia · window reflection · worldwide · wrong way up
(show all questions)
(show all questions)
- Something seems to be broken - where can I report bugs? Close
- Geograph runs on a pretty large database, and the load is spread over several servers. That means things do occasionally go wrong, and they aren't always consistent.
If a page doesn't display properly, try loading it again (by pressing F5) _once_. If that doesn't work, navigate away from the page, clear your cache (under privacy settings in most browsers) and try again. Or just wait a while, most of the time things get cleared up automatically given time.
If you think something is permanently wrong, post a bug report on the forum http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vtopic&forum=4 . Remember to say which page is affected (best paste in its address), which browser and version, and which operating system and version you use.
If something is wrong about the _content_ of a page (description text, photo location etc.), use the 'suggest an update' link under the main picture to contact the contributor and moderators.
- Can I subscribe to a square and receive a notification when new photos are added to it? Close
- Create a search that only find images in the given square, in reverse date submitted order using the search form http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?form=advanced . This one is an example for SN5881: http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=23416804 . Copy the GeoRSS link at the bottom of the search results page. You can either read the feed in an RSS reader such as Google Reader http://www.google.co.uk/reader by adding the link as a new subscription, or you can use an RSS2email service such as Feedmyinbox http://www.feedmyinbox.com/ to receive updates via email.
There is also a link at the bottom of your profile page giving access to a special search showing images uploaded in the last 30 days in any square that you've submitted to.
Finally, you can subscribe to the grid square discussion of a square you're interested in by going to the grid square discussion page and ticking 'notify me of new posts'.
(Inspired by a question asked on the forum by tuppence and answered by barryhunter http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=18&topic=13038 .)
- Can I create my own photo collection based on a theme of my choice - if so, how ? Close
- There are several ways to create a photo collection - http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Content-on-Geograph
Marked list - see http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/The-Mark-facility
You can save this as a private list or use it to build a Themed Topic or Article.
Themed Topic - a discussion area where you can gather photos either alone (by locking the topic after each post) or collaboratively.
Article - see http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Help_on_formatting_of_articles for help in creating articles which can also be a sole effort or opened up for collaborative editing.
Articles are indexed by google (and other search engines) and are visible to registered and non-registered users of the site.
- Why must I agree to allow commercial use of my image? Close
- Running this site costs money, particularly over time as the storage requirements are quite large. Whilst those costs were initially met by generous sponsorship from the Ordnance Survey, more recently the site has been dependent upon donations. Granting commercial use allows anyone who runs the archive in the distant future to explore other options for generating funds, such as sales of montage posters.
Granting everyone those same rights actually protects the site community from exploitation), but do bear in mind that we only retain a screen-quality version of your image, and that under the terms of the Creative Commons Licence, you must be credited for any use of your image.
- Can I change my name to a pseudonym on a submission ? Close
- You can submit all your photos under a pseudonym by changing the name on your Profile http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile.php (link top write on most pages). Note that by doing this, the name will be changed on all photos you have previously submitted from the account. These may already have been used elsewhere, crediting the name originally shown.
You can change the credit on an individual image, for instance if you asked someone else to take it for you, but the name on your profile will still be shown on the photo page and the photographer name will still link back to your profile.
You can open another account under a pseudonym but this will need to be done from a different email address and you will have to take care which account you are signed in with before submitting, making changes or posting in the forums.
- I've uploaded a picture, why is the square still green on my personal map? Close
- Normally, maps get redrawn within 24 hours. If this doesn't happen, please post a bug report on this forum thread: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=4&topic=13731 .
- Can I find out which of my images have been re-used on other websites? Close
- Geograph itself hasn't got any data on re-use of images downloaded from here. It wouldn't even be possible to determine who downloaded it in most cases. Google image search https://www.google.co.uk/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi is quite good at finding copies of an image elsewhere on the web. Just drag and drop the image onto the search bar. But of course there's no guarantee that it'll find all other instances of each photo.
If you find an interesting website re-using your or other Geograph photos, consider posting it on the forum thread http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=3179
(from a support request sent to http://www.geograph.org.uk/contact.php )
- I have an interesting old photograph/postcard, can I submit it to Geograph? Close
- If you have taken the picture yourself, or you have inherited it from a deceased relative and are certain of the copyright history, the age of the photograph is of no consequence.
With regard to old postcards or photographs without provenance, although the photo may well be out of copyright it is incompatible with the Creative Commons share alike licence and cannot be accepted on Geograph.
If you have taken a current view of the same place and would like to link it to the old photograph you can submit the recent shot here and upload the old photo to the media repository http://media.geograph.org.uk or a photo-sharing site like Flickr and link to it there in your description.
- What are shared descriptions, and how can I add them? Close
- Shared descriptions are blocks of text that you can apply to a number of images. You can also use shared descriptions written by others.
This may be useful if you have taken a number of photos at one location, and want to write a paragraph about that location. Also if you make a change to the shared description (e.g. correct a typo) it will be updated on all the images it is attached to.
For example I wrote a shared description for a number of images featuring Epping Long Green, which I can re-use if I take any more images of that location. It also enables a viewer to access a page where all images using that description are displayed.
If someone else has already written a helpful description of a feature, you can re-use this. It also allows a way of grouping images from different contributors together. For example Ian Capper had written a description of Coal Tax Posts, which I was able to attach to one of my images: Anyone searching for "Coal Tax Posts" would be able to access a page where images from all contributors who had used that description are displayed.
You can find a detailed article on the topic written by Barry Hunter here: http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Shared-Descriptions
You can search for shared descriptions already written here: http://www.geograph.org.uk/snippets.php
- Can I upload an annotated version of a photograph to point out particular features? Close
- The main picture on Geograph should be free from annotations because different people may want to use it in different contexts. However, annotated pictures demonstrating features such as geological or geographical details are very welcome. Please upload annotated versions to Geograph's media repository http://media.geograph.org.uk/ and link them from the description of the original image uploaded to Geograph's main archive. This article http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Howto-Crosslinking-descriptions shows how to make such links.
The media repository can also be used for out-of-copyright images such as old postcards to compare with the same scene in a current geograph, or for user-generated maps of the area.
You can also annotate other people's images and link them as external images from an article you're writing. To get started with article writing, have a look at this overview: http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Help_on_formatting_of_articles .
- How do I start a new discussion? Close
- First select the appropriate forum, either from the forum list page http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?forums=1 or by selecting the icon from the 'recent discussions' page http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?forums=0 (either at the top or beside an existing discussion thread).
Once on the correct forum, scroll to the foot of the page and in the box labelled 'Topic title' just below 'New topic' type your title.
In the large text box below 'Message' compose your post - help on formatting is available by clicking the link [Help - How to format posts including inserting images and links] (opens in a new tab).
- How do I hyperlink a word or words in a Geograph forum to a URL address. Close
- See the help on formatting forum posts, there is a link to the right above the text box.
[url=http://www.example.com]Some text[/url] shows as Some text
The shortcut for [url=][/url] is the globe with chain icon immediately above the box - your link goes after the = your text goes between the ][See the help on formatting forum posts, there is a link to the right above the text box.
[url=http://www.example.com]Some text[/url] shows as Some text
The shortcut for [url=][/url] is the globe with chain icon immediately above the box - your link goes after the = your text goes between the ][
- How are contributions scored in the Photo of the Week \ Year competitions? Close
- It isn't a matter of scoring, and there are no hard and fast rules, except that the photographs must be taken within the qualifying week, and submitted by midnight on the Tuesday after the end of the qualifying week.
There is a rota of volunteer selectors, who look through all the eligible images, and whittle down to a shortlist of about 50. Individual selectors select according to whatever criteria they decide, and post the short list to the discussion forum.
They also notify the previous week's winner, whose privilege it is to pick the winner the next week.
The weekly winners eventually go forward to a selector who picks the image of the year from among the weekly winners.
Any member can volunteer to pick a week's selection. To volunteer, send a message to the Photo of the Year Co-ordinator.
- I've got a picture of an insect (plant, pillbox, locomotive...). Can you help identify it for me? Close
- There are a number of forum threads where knowledgeable Geograph members help out identifying a variety of things. Just upload your picture (with the usual geographical information) and post it on the appropriate thread, then update your description when you get a satisfactory answer.
- insects: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=18&topic=10511
- fish: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12115
- birds: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=7307
- deer: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=13388
- livestock breeds: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=7733
- trees: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12362
- orchids: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=11958
- crops: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=7530
- plants in general: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=4791
- fungi: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=18&topic=12620
- geological curiosities: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=6&topic=1910
- clouds: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=6&topic=14038
- ships: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12872
- phoneboxes: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=6&topic=12931
- pillboxes: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=18&topic=12600
- tractors: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=11962
- farm machinery: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=3366
- locomotives: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=11550
- railway paraphernalia: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=12095
- mystery objects: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=3736
If none of these fits your identification problem, try searching the forum (entry box top right on any forum page) or start a new thread, ideally using the word 'identification' in the title. And please edit this answer and include a link to it!
- Can I edit my post on the discussion forum? Close
- Any post can be edited anytime in the 24 hours after it posted.
If its in a "Themed Topic", or a "Gallery" then it can be edited indefinitly.
Only the original author can edit their posts.
Just click "Edit" against the post in question.
If you created the topic, can edit the first post to rename the thread/topic.
- Can I suggest a photo for the front page of Geograph? Close
- Members of Geograph can (if you aren't yet, sign up by clicking the 'register link' top right on any page). Go to the forum ('Discussions' in the sidebar menu) and add any pictures you'd like to see in all their glory on the front page for one day only to this thread: http://www.geograph.org.uk/discuss/index.php?&action=vthread&forum=2&topic=17652 . They will then be added to the list from which the daily picture is picked. If you'd like to suggest a picture for a specific day, please say so - there's no guarantee though, as the day may already have a picture assigned to it. You can post a small selection of your own pictures, but it is nice to highlight other peoples efforts as well where you come across them.
There is one technical limitation to bear in mind: The front page picture has to fit in a landscape frame due to the page layout. If it isn't landscape format, it'll be cropped and the central section used. Sometimes that can work, but generally it's best to pick landscape formats in the first place.
Reusing Geograph Content
Photo Contributors :: Contributing
Finding way in the forum
· 17 of 163 questions shown. View All
· Can't find the answer you looking for? Ask a question now! ·
the content of this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.
the content of this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.