Voting on Geograph is an experimental feature. No promises we will use this data, however we hope that it will be useful in some way.
A few points:
- Voting is totally anonymous, and the data will never be used in any identifiable way. This includes letting others know you have voted at all.
- However, voting is recorded against your account, to help eliminate duplicates.
- Only your last vote for a particular item will count.
- Your vote should always be personal, even if that is subjective, rather than what you think the majority would be.
- The aim is not to highlight the lower end of the scale.
And in particular in regard to 1-5 'stars' :
- Click a star for the item in question, on a scale of 1 to 5 stars.
- You should approach voting with the aim to promote the good stuff, rather than root out and penalize the lower end of the scale.
- In general we are more likely to take note of 4 and 5 star votes, and take little notice of 1 and 2 star votes.
- The 'average' is 3 - which is effectively the same as no vote at all.
In regard to 'thumbs up' icons:
- Click these if you particularly like the image or text description, using the separate icons for each.