NS2242 : Bitumen refinery, Ardrossan

taken 34 years ago, near to Ardrossan, North Ayrshire, Great Britain

Bitumen refinery, Ardrossan
Bitumen refinery, Ardrossan
The Shell bitumen refinery (closed, I think, in 1988 and originally a WW1 aviation gasoline refinery) at Ardrossan harbour. Bitumen was despatched by rail to Culloden. See also NS2242 : Bitumen refinery revisited and NS2541 : Bitumen train, Saltcoats.
Ardrossan Harbour

Thanks to the Clyde Marina web site LinkExternal link for the following information.

Ardrossan quickly developed during the 18th & 19th centuries and is probably best known as a port; coal and iron were exported to Europe & North America as well as Ireland for many years.

Shipbuilding was one of Ardrossan's important industries. Many local firms were involved in building wooden ships, used as fishing vessels or cargo boats. Unfortunately due to competition from abroad, Ardrossan's shipbuilding industry almost ceased to exist after the 1950s.

Passenger boat services to Arran started in 1834, with the Irish passenger ship Gloworm starting in 1884. Isle of Man services commenced in 1892.
In 1796 Hugh, Earl of Eglinton had ambitious plans for Ardrossan. His vision was a town with wide streets and good housing. He also wanted to build a harbour and a canal to connect to Glasgow. When Hugh died in 1819, the work had been in progress for 13 years, but was incomplete. Work on the harbour was eventually completed in 1864. Hugh's dream of a canal linking Ardrossan to Glasgow was never realised.

Ardrossan town grew as a result of the harbour and became a Burgh of Barony in 1846 with a Provost, magistrates and commissioners. In 1886 the Ardrossan Harbour Company was formed to deal with the huge increase in use of the harbour. The company built the Eglinton dock in 1892 along with the existing breakwater.

Ardrossan continued to flourish into the 20th century with new manufacturing industries - the Shell-Mex refinery, Metallic Manufacturing and the Winton Foundry to name but a few.

With running down of many of the traditional industries Ardrossans harbour also declined in later half of the 20th century, until the establishment of the marina in 1997 transformed the Eglinton basin from an out of work commercial dock into the now vibrant marina and boatyard and beginning a new chapter in Ardrossan's maritime history.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Albert Bridge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS2242, 241 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 30 May, 1986   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 17 December, 2008
Category
Industrial buildings   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 229 427 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:38.7301N 4:48.8808W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 230 428
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 881 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register