TQ1365 : Wayneflete's Tower

taken 14 years ago, near to Esher, Surrey, Great Britain

Wayneflete's Tower
Wayneflete's Tower
Wayneflete's Tower was originally an 11th century manorial complex, sited on the banks of the River Mole. In 1462, Bishop William Waynflete of Winchester, founded the brick Palace of Esher and incorporated the medieval stone fortified manor house. The four storey gatehouse, with semi-octagonal turrets to the fore, was linked by a high curtain wall to a huge brick keep, which had octagonal turrets on the angles. Sadly in 17th century, the keep, the great hall, the curtain wall and associated building ranges were all demolished, down to the foundations. In the 18th century, Henry Pelham added a pair of wings and a porch, when integrating the tower into a Gothic mansion house.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Walter Koscielniak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ1365, 45 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 23 March, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 1 January, 2009
Category
Historic building   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 130 651 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:22.4225N 0:22.6153W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 128 655
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): cross grid 
This page has been viewed about 117 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register