TM0620 : Ruins of St Peter's Church
taken 18 years ago, near to Alresford, Essex, England
Ruins of St Peter's Church
Many Essex churches are remote from the villages they serve but stand near the house of the lord of the manor who paid for building the church. Perhaps in this case the original manor house has disappeared because this church stands about a kilometre away from Alresford village and from Alresford Hall. The church, built circa 1320 was a remodelling of a 10/11th century church which in turn incorporated tiles from the remains of a Roman villa nearby. It was destroyed by fire in 1971.
Geograph (First for TM0620)
· First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed