SD9797 : Church ruin, Isles

taken 12 years ago, near to Crackpot, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Church ruin, Isles
Church ruin, Isles
At first glance this looks like the ruined extension of a typical dales barn, but closer inspection reveals its original use as a church. A tablet on the wall gives the information that this was the first independent church in Swaledale and was founded by Philip Lord Wharton in 1690.
The oddest feature of the building is the site, which is on a steep hillside well above the road, and approached by narrow paths.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gordon Hatton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD9797, 64 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 17 April, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 18 April, 2009
Category
Church (ruined)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 972 975 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:22.4177N 2:2.6210W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 972 975
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 58 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register