TF6303 : The Old Rectory in Bexwell

taken 11 years ago, near to Bexwell, Norfolk, Great Britain

The Old Rectory in Bexwell
The Old Rectory in Bexwell
During WW2, the Old Rectory served as the Officers' Mess of RAF Bexwell.

It adjoins St Mary's church > Link in the west. According to the Norfolk historian Blomefield the parish name probably is derived from a spring, well or a beck or run of water which had its rise in the spring called by the Saxons " Bechesuuella " or " Bekesuuella " but perhaps it originates from the Anglo Saxon name " Beccing " or the Danish personal name of Beck. Wellen is also a Danish family name. The parish is mentioned in Domesday Book of 1087. In 1845 the village consisted of - according to White`s Directory - 70 inhabitants, three houses, six cottages and 1,100 acres of land. Nine years later the parish population had risen to 87 and the number of houses to 15.
RAF Downham Market

The airfield was opened in mid-1942 as a satellite station for RAF Marham. It had three concrete runways which in the late 1970s were lifted and crushed for aggregate, to be used in the construction of the Downham Market by-pass, the A10 road. Only a tiny fragment remains in place today.

The station was home to No. 635 Squadron which formed part of the Pathfinder Force, flying the lead aircraft to mark bombing targets for the following formations. A memorial to two squadron members who were posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross can be found on the green adjoining St Mary's church in Bexwell.

A number of buildings on the former Technical site have survived at what is now the Bexwell Business Park, and a former Mess building can be found on the Stonecross Industrial Estate. See also: Link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF6303, 92 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 19 April, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 20 April, 2009
Category
Rectory (former)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 630 034 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:36.2674N 0:24.3789E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 631 034
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 124 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register