TG1902 : St Mary's church

taken 10 years ago, near to Swardeston, Norfolk, Great Britain

This is 1 of 2 images, with title St Mary's church in this square
St Mary's church
St Mary's church
St Mary's > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link dates from the 12th century but has been restored several times since. It still houses the original C14 font which has a 17th century cover > LinkExternal link. The rood screen > LinkExternal link is original also but has been repainted. The rood screen dado is of recent construction and was made from wood obtained from the redundant St Margaret's church at Westwick, Norwich. The altar comes from Briston church. There are some old poppy-head pews in the chancel. Flemish glass > LinkExternal link is inset into some of the windows, others contain medieval glass fragments from the original east window. The present east window is the Edith Cavell memorial window > LinkExternal link and was installed in 1917.

St Mary's is very much the church of Frederick Cavell - father of Edith Louisa Cavell - who was rector here for 46 years. Edith Cavell was a trained nurse. During the war she was in charge of a pioneer training school for lay nurses, 'L'École Belge d'Infirmières Diplômées' (The Belgian School of Registered Nurses) on the outskirts of Brussels which cared for soldiers of both sides. She also saw it as her humanitarian duty to help British soldiers escape back to England but she was caught, and shot by the Germans on the morning of October the 12th, 1915. LinkExternal link. Her name heads the list of the fallen on the war memorial > LinkExternal link beside the path to the church, and her portrait hangs on the wall opposite the south doorway of the church > LinkExternal link. Edith Cavell was first buried in Brussels. After the war her remains were brought back to England, first to Westminster Abbey for a service on 15th May 1919, and then by special train to Norwich, where thousands lined the route and followed the gun-carriage to the cathedral where she was finally laid to rest in a simple grave at the eastern end of the cathedral, in Life's Green. Part of the simple cross which marked Edith's first grave in Brussels is now preserved in Swardeston church. Her family's grave can be found in the north-eastern corner of St Mary's churchyard > LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG1902, 172 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 13 June, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 13 June, 2009
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 199 024 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:34.4958N 1:14.6391E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 199 023
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 130 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register