H3507 : Clogh Oughter Castle

taken 10 years ago, near to Gartbrattan and Killykeen, Cavan, Ireland

Clogh Oughter Castle
Clogh Oughter Castle
Clogh Oughter Castle is situated on an island on Lough Oughter. The Anglo Normans built this round tower in the 12th or 13th century when they tried to conquer the East Breifne area. It was once the stronghold of the O'Reilly Clan, rulers of East Breifne and used as a prison for the rest of the middle ages.

Lough Oughter played a pivotal role in the 1641 Rebellion. The castle was one of the last confederate strongholds to surrender in Ireland to the Cromwellian forces in 1653.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Oliver Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
H3507, 6 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 5 July, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 19 July, 2009
Category
Castle > Castle   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! H 357 078 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:1.1395N 7:27.3296W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! H 355 077
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 348 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register