1988

SJ3691 : Ogden's tobacco factory power house

taken 35 years ago, near to Liverpool, England

Ogden's tobacco factory power house.
Ogden's tobacco factory power house.
A pair of 430 horsepower inverted vertical compound steam engines built 1923 by Browett, lindley of Patricroft. These were stopped by 1974 but remained on standby in to the 1990s. The works has now closed and it is believed they may have been removed or scrapped. This was one of the last decent multi-engine power houses in the mainland of the UK and it is to be regretted that English Heritage would not afford it any form of statutory protection (the office block is listed). See SJ3691 : Ogden's Tobacco Factory, Liverpool and SJ3691 : Ogden's Tobacco Company offices taken on the same visit.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Steam engines
This photo is linked from: Galleries: · The Stationary Steam Engine Automatic Clusters: · Ogden's Tobacco Factory [4] · Power House [2] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SJ3691, 47 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Chris Allen   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 10 December, 1988   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 7 February, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 366 917 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:25.0968N 2:57.2793W
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 716 times
You are not logged in login | register