NZ3354 : Penshaw Monument

taken 10 years ago, near to Penshaw, Sunderland, Great Britain

This is 1 of 21 images, with title Penshaw Monument in this square
Penshaw Monument
Penshaw Monument
Penshaw Monument (officially The Earl of Durham's Monument) is a folly on Penshaw Hill. It is dedicated to John George Lambton, 'Radical Jack', 1st Earl of Durham, and the first Governor of the Province of Canada LinkExternal link
The design by John and Benjamin Green is of a Grecian temple. Its dimensions are 30.5 metres in length, 16.2 metres in width and 21.3 metres in height, a half-sized replica of the Temple of Hephaestus in Athens. The foundation stone for the monument was laid in 1844, watched by over 10,000 spectators. The monument is now the property of the National Trust.
LinkExternal link

See other images of Penshaw Monument
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ3354, 57 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 12 February, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 14 February, 2010
Category
Monument > Monument   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 3340 5437 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:52.9784N 1:28.8554W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 3352 5424
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 50 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register