TL9785 : The church of All Saints - table by entrance

taken 9 years ago, near to Middle Harling, Norfolk, Great Britain

The church of All Saints - table by entrance
The church of All Saints - table by entrance
All Saints' church > LinkExternal link was built during the 13th century with its tower added a century later. The church was extensively restored in Victorian times but has retained a number of mediaeval survivals such as the octagonal font > LinkExternal link and stained glass > LinkExternal link from the 15th century Norwich School. There are also a few figure brasses, one depicting a priest in mass vestments > LinkExternal link. What appears to be medieval panels have been incorporated into the C20 reredos > LinkExternal link. The church has been redundant for the past three decades and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.

West Harling, a village in the Thet valley, was deserted in the first half of the 18th century. Originally part of a cluster of settlements which all had the name 'Herlinga' in 1086, three of these had become known as West Harling (with its church of All Saints'), Middle Harling (with St Andrew's church) and Harling Thorpe. Middle Harling became part of West Harling parish in 1543. With a new Lord of the Manor, Richard Gipps, the fate of the until then fairly prosperous villages changed: Gipps bought all the houses except for one small cottage and so had reduced the number of dwellings. Gipps' heirs closed the old road, and the foundations of the demolished church in Middle Harling were uprooted to build up a marshy ground. All Saints church today stands isolated, the Hall built by Gipps was demolished in 1931 and conifer plantations cover much of his estate. What remains is a bust in the church LinkExternal link placed there by his great-nephew.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL9785, 37 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 13 February, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 15 February, 2010
Category
Church interior   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 974 851 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:25.7091N 0:54.1664E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 974 851
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 18 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register