NS3977 : The Howgate

taken 12 years ago, near to Renton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

This is 1 of 4 images, with title The Howgate in this square
The Howgate
The Howgate
Visible on the left is a surviving portion of the southern wall of the former Dalquhurn Dye Works. Although it cannot be seen in this photo, not far ahead, where the track meets the cycle route, part of an original stone gateway can be seen at the corner of the wall.

A loop line was extended from Dumbarton to Balloch railway line specifically to serve Dalquhurn (here, it ran parallel to and immediately to the north of the Howgate), and a single track line was later created to link Dalquhurn Dyeworks and the Cordale works; the line ran along the banks of the River Leven, and the engine was referred to as the Pug (according to a notice board at the top of Dalquhurn Point, it was a Barclay 0-4-0 locomotive). These lines are shown on the 1:10560 OS map of 1899.

Beyond the far end of the track, a large building is visible; this is part of the bottling and blending plant at Kilmalid, and it is located on the far side of the river.

For a view in the opposite direction from the same point, see NS3977 : The Howgate.
The Howgate :: NS3877

See LinkExternal link (an annotated satellite view) for the original line (in yellow) and the current line (in green) of this track.

As explained in a Geograph article Link the track, on its original line, provided access to Pillanflatt Farm and to the River Leven; the riverside meadow at the eastern end of the track was once known as Sandyholme (see Link for comments on that name and its possible relation to that of the Howgate).

Expansion of the Dalquhurn Dye Works had swallowed that farm by 1860, and the original course of the Howgate would gradually fall into disuse and would likewise be consumed by the expanding works. The present-day Howgate, running some way to the south of the original one, represents the course of a long-dismantled railway branch line, first shown on the 1896 map revision.

The Howgate now leads from the main road (the Renton Road) to meet a foot/cycle path beside the River Leven. A building called Howgate Lodge was formerly located at NS38657749, near the western end of the track, but it was cleared away when the A82 (dual carriageway) was built. There was also a Howgate Cottage (likewise long gone) partway along the track, at NS38997753, on or near the spot where the farmhouse of Pillanflatt earlier stood.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3977, 335 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 18 February, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 24 February, 2010
Geographical Context
Paths 
Near (from Tags)
River Leven  Dalquhurn 
Category
Track > Track   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3916 7743 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.7719N 4:34.6950W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3909 7742
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
The Howgate 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 272 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register