2010

SD6202 : Bickershaw Junction

taken 14 years ago, near to Bickershaw, Wigan, England

This is 1 of 3 images, with title Bickershaw Junction in this square
Bickershaw Junction
Bickershaw Junction
The London & North Western Railway (LNWR) opened its Wigan to Manchester line via Atherton and Tyldesley in 1864. The line closed as a through route in 1969. A short section of the branch around Leigh (1885-1969) was retained to allow rail access to Bickershaw Colliery with this branch eventually closing in 1993. A connection was made with the Great Central line (1884-1967) to Wigan Central station at Bickershaw East / Strangeways East Junction. This is Bickershaw Junction looking east towards Atherton.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Ashcroft and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Bickershaw Colliery with this Branch Eventually Closing [8] · Looking East [3] Title Clusters: · Bickershaw Junction [3] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SD6202, 21 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
David Ashcroft   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 6 March, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 6 March, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 622 028 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:31.2788N 2:34.2687W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 621 029
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 238 times
You are not logged in login | register