2010

SD6202 : East from Bickershaw Junction

taken 14 years ago, near to Bickershaw, Wigan, England

East from Bickershaw Junction
East from Bickershaw Junction
The London & North Western Railway (LNWR) opened its Wigan to Manchester (Eccles) line via Atherton and Tyldesley in 1864. The line closed as a through route in 1969, however, the trackbed in this view was kept open as far as Howe Bridge West Junction (formerly known as Chowbent West Junction) until 1975 to allow coal from Parsonage Colliery to be taken out by rail. The last train of coal ran in August 1974. After this coal was brought up to the surface via an underground connection to the Bickershaw Colliery.
A connection was made with the Great Central line (1884-1967) to Wigan Central station at Bickershaw East / Strangeways East Junction which is situated behind the photographer.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Ashcroft and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Bickershaw Colliery with this Branch Eventually Closing [8] · Bridge [5] · West Junction [2] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SD6202, 21 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
David Ashcroft   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 6 March, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 6 March, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 624 028 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:31.2690N 2:34.0514W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 623 028
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 410 times
You are not logged in login | register