2010

SD6202 : Bickershaw Junction

taken 14 years ago, near to Bickershaw, Wigan, England

This is 1 of 3 images, with title Bickershaw Junction in this square
Bickershaw Junction
Bickershaw Junction
The London & North Western Railway (LNWR) opened its Wigan to Manchester line via Atherton and Tyldesley in 1864. The line closed as a through route in 1969. A short section of the branch around Leigh (1885-1969) was retained to allow rail access to Bickershaw Colliery with this branch eventually closing in 1993. In this view the route retained to serve Bickershaw colliery can be seen on the right, the route to Eccles is on the left. Follow this link to see how it used to be : LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Ashcroft and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Bickershaw Colliery with this Branch Eventually Closing [8] Title Clusters: · Bickershaw Junction [3] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SD6202, 21 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
David Ashcroft   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 6 March, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 6 March, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 624 028 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:31.2526N 2:34.1055W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 622 028
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 267 times
You are not logged in login | register