2010

NZ2464 : Leazes Terrace, north-west side

taken 14 years ago, near to Newcastle Upon Tyne, England

This is 1 of 6 images, with title starting with Leazes in this square
Leazes Terrace, north-west side
Leazes Terrace, north-west side
The terrace was designed by Thomas Oliver for Richard Grainger (1829-34). This is the narrow end of the skewed rectangular block overlooking Leazes Park.
Grainger Town

Present-day Newcastle owes much of its architecture to the partnership of Richard Grainger LinkExternal link and John Dobson LinkExternal link
Grainger was a builder who built many important buildings in Newcastle. Dobson was an architect, with whom Grainger worked on many projects. Between 1824 and 1826, Grainger built most of Eldon Square and Blackett Street. In 1829, Dobson and Grainger built Leazes Terrace and Leazes Crescent, and in 1832, they completed the Royal Arcade at the foot of Pilgrim Street.
In 1839, the two men completed their most ambitious project covering 12 acres (49,000 m2) in central Newcastle, on the site of Newe House (also called Anderson Place). They built three new thoroughfares, Grey Street, Grainger Street and Clayton Street, with many connecting streets, as well as the Central Exchange and the Grainger Market.
Dobson was the one who provided the creative drive behind the project and Grey Street is considered to be his finest creation with its elegant curve. Unfortunately most of old Eldon Square was demolished in the 1960s in the name of progress. The Royal Arcade met a similar fate.
The name, Grainger Town, was first applied to this part of the City Centre in 1991 by the City Council and the Grainger Town Partnership was set up to co-ordinate its regeneration and revitalisation.
LinkExternal link

Leazes

The name, Leazes, refers to green pastures used for hay cropping, once part of an area of common land outside the old town wall, known as Castle Leazes. Building was allowed on part of the land from the C18th, including the football ground LinkExternal link

Leazes Park was created on part of the Leazes Town Moor and was officially opened in 1873.†It has a lake which was originally intended for ice-skating and boating. Itís stocked and fished by Leazes Park Angling Association.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Terrace
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · 4406042 [622] Other Photos: · Leazes Terrace, south corner · Inner courtyard, Leazes Terrace · Leazes Crescent ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NZ2464, 2467 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Andrew Curtis   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 18 March, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 20 March, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2432 6480 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:58.6332N 1:37.2942W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2430 6481
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 302 times
You are not logged in login | register