NS4274 : Remains of enclosure at ruins of Mattockhill

taken 10 years ago, near to Milton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Remains of enclosure at ruins of Mattockhill
Remains of enclosure at ruins of Mattockhill
See NS4274 : Ruins of Mattockhill for details of the ruined farmstead itself.

The dry-stone wall visible here is the surviving portion of an enclosure, shown on the first-edition OS map (c.1860), that was associated with Mattockill.

In the background, the slopes of Craigunnock are visible on the left; Sheephill Quarry is located on their far side (compare NS4374 : Warning behind Craigunnock Stone Quarry).


Note also the area on the near shore of the River Clyde; this was formerly an oil terminal, but the site has now been cleared. For an older view of that area, as seen from exactly the same viewpoint, see NS4373 : Esso terminal at Milton; comparison with the older photo shows that the last couple of feet on the right-hand end of the wall have collapsed since that photo was taken.
The ruins of Mattockhill

The site is marked, as Chappeltouns, on the Blaeu Map of the Lennox (published in 1654, but based on earlier surveys), and as Marrockhill on Ainslie's 1821 "Map of the Southern Part of Scotland". The relevant OS Name Book, compiled in 1860, observes that the name Mattockhill was the one given by the tenant, by the factor, and in the Valuation Rolls; it records the alternative names High Chapelton, from an estate plan, and Chapelton, from a county map, but observes that those names were no longer in use. The Farm Horse Tax Rolls for 179798 have an entry for "Robert Paul, Chappel". That this is the same place is made clear by John Bruce's 1893 book "History of the Parish of West or Old Kilpatrick", which states that Robert Paul was the tenant farmer of Mattockhill in 1796, and that he was one of five local men who were chosen, on the 17th of July of that year, to serve as church elders for West Kilpatrick Parish.

Former Esso terminal at Milton :: NS4373

The site is no longer an oil terminal, and its structures have been cleared away; however, as of early 2018, the site is still closed to the public. See LinkExternal link (at Canmore) for further details.

The information in the next paragraph was obtained from the booklet "Dunbartonshire: The Official Handbook of the County" (1965); note that, in this context, "bunkering" is the act of refuelling a ship, and "bunker(s)" is the fuel oil itself:

The terminal was operated by the Esso Petroleum Company, and was its main storage and distribution point in Scotland. The site was originally developed as a marine bunkering point after the First World War, but was later extended to 150 acres, and expanded to make it a major ocean terminal capable of handing a wide range of oil products. The terminal was mainly supplied from Esso's refineries at Fawley (SU4403) and Milford Haven (SM8706, now the site of South Hook LNG Terminal) by ocean tankers which could be accommodated at either of the Bowling jetties. The largest tanks around the jetties were capable of storing 8000 tons of oil each. In the mid-1960s, when the aforementioned booklet was written, bunkering was still a feature of the site: deliveries to ships in Glasgow docks were carried out by self-propelled bunkering barge, while bunkers could also be pumped aboard directly from the terminal at the coaster berth.

Associated with the former terminal is a group of standing structures in the Clyde; they are identified as "bollards" on OS mapping.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4274, 128 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 2 April, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 15 April, 2010
Geographical Context
Derelict, Disused 
Ruin (from Tags)
Enclosure 
Near (from Tags)
Milton 
Category
Dry stone wall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4290 7492 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.4944N 4:31.0162W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4288 7496
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 186 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register