2010

SK0001 : Davy Lamp - Leamore Park

taken 14 years ago, near to Bloxwich, Walsall, England

Davy Lamp - Leamore Park
Davy Lamp - Leamore Park
Brownhills may have its miner but Leamore has a miner's lamp. The run down Blakenhall Estate has received a large injection of 'New Deal' investment to smarten up the area including this public artwork in the park. Leamore developed as a mining area in the 1850s with most shafts worked out by the turn of the century. The last colliery in the area at Walsall Wood closed in the 1960s.

The Davy Lamp designed by Sir Humphry Davy in 1815 was a major improvement in mine safety. The flame from an oil lamp is encased in wire gauze inside a glass cylinder. This reduces the risk of explosion through the use of open flames where flammable gases may be present. The colour of the flame provides an indication of the presence of gas.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John M and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Park > Park
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Blakenhall [4] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SK0001, 35 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
John M   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 22 May, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 22 May, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 004 014 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:36.6604N 1:59.6784W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 004 014
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 420 times
You are not logged in login | register