NT1882 : Inchcolm, St Colm's Abbey

taken 12 years ago, 3 km from Aberdour, Fife, Great Britain

Inchcolm, St Colm's Abbey
Inchcolm, St Colm's Abbey
Inchcolm lies in the Firth of Forth east of the Forth Bridge, off the south coast of Fife. It was supposedly visited by St Columba in 567, and was named after him in the 12th century.

King Alexander was marooned on the island after a shipwreck in 1123, and took shelter in a hermit's hovel. Alexander decided to make the island the site of an Augustinian monastery, St Colm's Abbey, which is located at the centre of the island. The Abbey was first used as a priory, becoming a full abbey in 1235. It was abandoned after the Scottish Reformation in 1560.

The surviving remains of St Colm's Abbey are under the care of Historic Scotland.

LinkExternal link Wikipedia entry


See other images of Inchcolm
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT1882, 117 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 2 June, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 6 June, 2010
Category
Religious buildings > Abbey (ruined)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 189 826 [100m precision]
WGS84: 56:1.7889N 3:18.1001W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 189 823
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 127 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register