SE1321 : Corner of wall to former mill reservoir off Spout Hill, Rastrick

taken 14 years ago, near to Rastrick, Calderdale, Great Britain

Corner of wall to former mill reservoir off Spout Hill, Rastrick
Corner of wall to former mill reservoir off Spout Hill, Rastrick
Spout Mills were demolished a few years ago, and the site is being redeveloped for housing. The reservoir has been filled in and new houses (unfortunately not captured by the camera) built above the wall.
Brighouse FP103 (Western part)

This public footpath, 200m long, originally started at Spout Hill, and now starts at Sage Grove, and proceeds straight down to Delf Hill, apart from a bend near the far end.

The path is not shown on the 1824 township map, but the fields are named, Upper Ing and Lower Ing on the north-west side and Intake on the south-east side. On the 1850 six-inch map the path is shown as a field path along the edge of Intake, starting at a 'Well' at Spout Hill. It is not shown at the Delf Hill end. A line of trees is shown on the north-west side, and also the contours of the valley, but no open stream.

The next map is the 1:2500 map of 1893. This shows the mill pond of Spout Mills on the north-west side. This was perched up on a retaining wall, and occupied some of Upper Ing, which had merged with Lower Ing. Opposite was a square area captioned 'Tanks' in land taken from Intake. The well is no longer shown. The southern end of the path is shown going through a covered passage between mill buildings. The northern end of the path at Delf Hill is now shown clearly, on the present line. Three houses, now joined together as 'Delf Cottage' are shown between the path and Delf Hill and another house, that waslater extended, on the north side of the path, facing Delf Hill. The only change on the 1907 edition is that the line of trees is no longer shown, but that is probably a just change of mapping policy. On the 1918 edition Lowe Ing has been fenced off again. The 'Tanks' have gone. The 'Mill Pond' is now captioned 'Reservoir'. The path is still a field path, fenced only on the north-west side, where it goes along the edge of Intake. There was no significany change on the 1933 edition. On the 1:2500 map of c.1960 the path is now enclosed past Intake, and Ing has been divided differently, with buildings shown in the present yard and adjoining land.

The mill was burnt down and in a ruined state for a while. The site was redeveloped c.2010. Intake has been divided into smallholdings; part of it has been made into a garden, and the southern part is derelict.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE1321, 372 images   (more nearby search)
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 12 June, 2006   (more nearby)
Thursday, 22 June, 2006
Primary Subject of Photo
Wall > Wall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 134 210 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:41.1172N 1:47.9151W
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
Retaining Wall 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 97 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
thumbs up icon
You are not logged in login | register