TG2308 : St Julian's church in Norwich - modern stained glass

taken 14 years ago, near to Norwich, Norfolk, England

St Julian's church in Norwich - modern stained glass
St Julian's church in Norwich - modern stained glass
St Julian's church > Link has an international reputation because of Dame Julian of Norwich, who chose to live here in the later 14th century. But despite common belief, the church is not dedicated to her but to St Julian, Bishop of Le Mans. After recovering from an illness, Dame Julian became an anchoress at the church and her musings, titled ‘The Revelations of Divine Love’, are the first known book to be written in English by a woman. The church as we see it today dates almost entirely from 1953, when it was rebuilt after having been hit by a bomb in 1942. It is believed that the church stood on this site since Anglo-Saxon times and a number of circular windows dating from this time were revealed during rebuilding. Similar windows were also found in the south wall of the chancel. The round tower > Link - it is one of four found at Norwich churches - collapsed due to the bombing and was only partially rebuilt. The baptismal font > Link dates from the 14th century and came from All Saints' church. It has unusual carvings depicting the 12 apostles around the bowl and saints around the stem. The reredos > Link - it was made in Oberammergau, Bavaria, survived the bomb and was placed here in 1931. The Norman doorway > Link to Mother Julian's cell > Link was brought here from St Michael-at-Thorn, a nearby church which was destroyed on the same night as the bomb hit St Julians and was never rebuilt. The two stained glass windows > Link are modern and were made by the firm of King of Norwich. For more detailed information read: LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TG2308, 6226 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Evelyn Simak   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 10 July, 2010   (more nearby)
Monday, 12 July, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 235 081 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:37.4774N 1:18.0431E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 235 080
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Clickable map
W Go E
Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 44 times
You are not logged in login | register