NZ1064 : Wylam Pumping Station

taken 11 years ago, near to Wylam, Northumberland, Great Britain

This is 1 of 2 images, with title Wylam Pumping Station in this square
Wylam Pumping Station
Wylam Pumping Station
Built by the Newcastle and Gateshead Water Company in 1876 to house a steam-powered Cornish beam engine which was used to pump water from the River Tyne uphill north to the Whittle Dean Reservoirs NZ0667
Further steam engine pumps were provided in 1886 and 1894 and operated until 1918 when electrically driven centrifugal pumps were installed. These were uprated in 1950 and used until 1976 when they were replaced by works constructed at Ovingham, 0.5 miles upriver NZ0964 : River Tyne west from the Spetchells
New pumps have now been installed within the old buildings which pump drinking water from the Horsley Treatment Works NZ0965 to the area south of the river.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1064, 59 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 August, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 22 August, 2010
Category
Water pumping station   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1023 6462 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:58.5653N 1:50.5026W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1019 6461
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 993 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register