2010

NY9763 : Dilston Castle, west side

taken 14 years ago, near to Dilston, Northumberland, England

Dilston Castle, west side
Dilston Castle, west side
Dilston Castle is a fortified solar LinkExternal link tower, built by Sir William Claxton, c1417. It was enlarged in Elizabethan times and a Jacobean manor house, Dilston Hall, added in 1622. They were both incorporated in a palatial mansion belonging to James Radcliffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater. After his execution for high treason in 1715, this was demolished in 1768.
The mullioned and transomed windows were inserted in the early C17th. The three light window is part of the 1910 restoration and may have filled an opening originally cut to provide access to the new west wing of Lord Derwentwater's mansion built 1712-15 LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
Dilston Hall

Dilston Castle is a fortified solar LinkExternal link tower, built by Sir William Claxton, c1417. It was enlarged in Elizabethan times and a Jacobean manor house, Dilston Hall, added in 1622. They were both incorporated in a palatial mansion belonging to James Radcliffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater. This was surrounded by ornate gardens, all in a grand style. After his execution for high treason in 1715, and the death of his son in 1731, the Derwentwater estates were seized by the Government and passed to the Greenwich Hospital Trustees. The Hall, now in a ruinous state, was demolished in 1765, leaving only the original tower house. Many stories about the estate, hall and the Radcliffes passed into local folk lore.
Now, all that remains of Dilston Hall are alterations made to the Castle, the Chapel, the Gateway and Lord's Bridge over the Devil's Water, along with recently excavated remains of the buildings. The current Dilston Hall (a large country house and former maternity home) and 9 acres of park, woodland and gardens, which include the ruined castle and chapel, are operated as a training college by the mental health charity, Mencap.
Archive LinkExternal link
According to Dan Brown's novel, 'The Da Vinci Code', James Radcliffe's brother, Charles, was the 20th Grand Master of the Priory of Sion from 1727. This was said to be a shadowy organisation guarding secret knowledge of the whereabouts of the Holy Grail. Perhaps, with the archaeological excavations continuing annually around the castle, it'll actually be found there.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Castle > Castle
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Dilston Hall [15] · Dilston Castle [12] · Dilston House [10] · West [3] Other Photos: · Devil's Water, Dilston · Mencap National College, Dilston Hall ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NY9763, 80 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Andrew Curtis   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 August, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 22 August, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 9755 6329 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:57.8539N 2:2.3878W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 9751 6324
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 929 times
You are not logged in login | register